Bossy lady

ArchersMom

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2015
I am new to chickens and have a mixed flock. I have a 1 year old red sex link hen and 3 almost 4 month old Wyandotte mixes in one coop. Red is a bit of a bully. Shes the sweetest, most docile hen with me. She hasn't caused any injuries but she terrorizes the other poor hens around the coop and run. I've been allowing Red to free range for part of the day so the other hens get some peace. I also have 3 4 week old hens that I was planning to build a small coop for. I wonder if I shouldn't just separate Red in her own coop while I'm at it.

I might have to give that a try. At least once I have my second coop set up. I guess this is typical for her mix but I hope she settles down soon.

My red sex links were much the same, sweetest to humans, they could get a little aggressive but they weren't super bad once they settled in. Good luck though!

Once the 4 month old girls begin laying, they will rise in status, and that might help too.
Yes, This^^^^

I am new to chickens and have a mixed flock. I have a 1 year old red sex link hen and 3 almost 4 month old Wyandotte mixes in one coop. Red is a bit of a bully. Shes the sweetest, most docile hen with me. She hasn't caused any injuries but she terrorizes the other poor hens around the coop and run. I've been allowing Red to free range for part of the day so the other hens get some peace. I also have 3 4 week old hens that I was planning to build a small coop for. I wonder if I shouldn't just separate Red in her own coop while I'm at it.
Did you get these birds all at the same time?
Your hen is just pulling rank(in the pecking order) on the pullets.
She is the 'Boss'!

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom