Boston Terrier Returned!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cheryl, May 16, 2009.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

We are close to ready to getting a new dog, Chickn has convinced me that a pug is out, the DH is also considering a Boston Terrier and I think they are great little dogs!!! So I would love to hear your opinions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have a boston.........he loooooves chickens. As in he loooooves to try to eat chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

Other than that, he is the world's best dog! He's 5 years old, I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. My 2 year old daughter is his best friend, he puts up with all of her torture and loves her more than anything in the world. He can be a little pouty and WILL hold a grudge if he gets in trouble (he has a thing for going through my kitchen trash [​IMG] [​IMG] ). All in all, I wouldn't trade him for the world. He gets along great with all of our other dogs.

I think bostons are great [​IMG]

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I have called several people and left messages, hope to hear from someone, there are quite a few breeders in MA registered with the Boston Terrier Club of America

4. sanctuaryworker

sanctuaryworker Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    you can also try petfinder.com. I was just at an event today where our local shelter had a female boston... she got adopted!

I have a 6 year old boston with cushings. I enjoy him, but they really need room to run and get their energy out especially when they are young!

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Boston Terriers are great big dogs in a little dogs body. If you've had Terriers before then you know how high strung and active they can be. If you are fine with that and also know that he/she will most likely see your chickens as a great dinner (as stated above) then go for it and get one.

Just remember that every dog needs training from it's people from day one and Boston's can be very headstrong.

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i'm a dachshund person but my second pick is a boston, a little wiggly boston puppy is the cutest thing, when i worked at the vet office everybody went crazy over a boston puppy, i have a 10 yr old boston/pug mix, he's been a great dog [​IMG]

7. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
  8. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

9. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    I happen to be VERY partial to bostons [​IMG] I have been raising the for almost 14 years. They are great little companions!! It is very true that while they are in the early years they have energy but it's not like other terriers. They love to play and be with you. I think that's the important thing to know. Bostons are the happiest when they are with you whether it's going for a ride or just sitting on your lap if that's not what you want, than a boston is not for you.

They can live 14, 15 or more years so unless you are ready for a lifelong commitment, they aren't for you.
    The breed as a whole are prone to several health issues-juvie cataracts, luxating patellas, breathing problems and more. NEVER buy from a pet shop!! Buy from a breeder who knows their lines and genetics.

My experience says that the smaller the boston and the shorter the face leads to problems, but, not always. That's just my preference.

I can't really say if you'll fit with a boston because I don't know about your situation. Above all-research ANY breed you may choose.

P.S.- Bostons are great around other animals, but, as with any other dog they need to know right from wrong. Good luck and you can PM me if you'd like more info.

[​IMG]

10. mmizell

mmizell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    Bostons are awesome! I grewup w/them, wonderful family pets.
    I love all breeds but for a smaller dog.. hands down- a quality Boston Terrier.
    Good Luck.
    M:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by