Both feet entirely swollen

mystang89

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Louisville
I was watching my chickens today and noticed one of them with 2 very swollen feet. I thought it might be bumblefoot so I took her, covered her head as in the past, and laid her on her side to thoroughly check both feet for the tale tale scab but there were none. Both her feet look completely normal to me except they are about 2x's normal size.

I decided to make an incision in one of her feet and puss rolled out. Both feet are like this on her. Both entirely filled with puss.

She isn't a pet. I look at my chickens as investments. I've put a lot of money into her in food, raising her from a chick. I don't want to waste that time especially since she is just now getting close to laying age.

What do you all think she has? What do you think I can do for her? I tried getting as much of the puss out as I could. I wrapped it as best as I could. I'm really at a loss on this one. I don't want her to suffer needlessly if there isn't anything I can do for her. Vet is out of the question. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20170711_161817.jpg
    20170711_161817.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 23
I have no clue what could've caused it. I'm guessing that you thoroughly looked for any splinters or anything that may have caused infection already though that's word that is in both feet. The only thing I can think to tell you is to drain as much puts as you can and soak her feet in warm water with Epsom salt to try to draw the infection out. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

Is she showing any other symtoms? My first guess was leg mites, but the scales on your chicken's feet don't appear to be pealing up.. Other probible causes could be from walking around on wire floors or jumping down from high perches. Barred Rocks can be fairly heavy birds, so sometimes that can be really hard on thier feet.

Thanks for the responces.

I looked for splinters or scabs and didn't find anything unusual. I will try to soak her feet in Epson salt water though. Should I continue to reopen the incisuons I already made and see if there is more puss to come out would of be best to let those heal up?

There are no other symptoms that I could see. She seems to be acting just fine. Walking around with everyone else, eating and drinking. I was kinda amazed that she wasn't limping or hobbling but there really wasn't anything I saw too clue me in other than gigantic feet lol. At first I thought the same as you, scale mites but I've had chickens with those before and, as you said, the scales aren't raised.

She is on dirt floors and there is no fencing for her to walk on. She likes to perch about 6'high though.

Was the drainage from her feet thick and viscous, or thin and watery? Are her legs reddish or streaked, or are they yellowish? I would think if her legs were full of puss that she would be in very much pain or lame. Some reasons for swollen feet can be from mycoplasma synovitis infection or articular gout. MS is a bacterial arthritis, and E.coli and other bacteria found around a chicken coop can be possible infectious agents. You can try soaking the feet with warm Epsom salts to draw out infection, but she will need some strong antibiotics to treat infection. Tylan 50 can treat mycoplasma, but won't cure it. If there is E.coli or other coliform bacteria, then other specific antibiotics would be needed. I would consult a vet for antibiotics, anti-infalammatory medicine, and help with a diagnosis, or think about putting her down.

Thanks eggssive. This might be multiple things based on your question then. MOST of what came out was thick and vicious however I one part on the top of her foot, which happened to be the largest lump, that came out thin and watery like a water gun. Thinking about it makes my stomach turn again. I will soak her for and keep an eye on her tomorrow. If I feel she isnt going to get better and is just suffering then I'll put her down. Either way, I'll key every one know.

There is a good article about articular gout in ThePoultrySite if you Google it, and it shows pictures of swollen feet with white uric acid crystals under the skin. The article also lists the various causes of gout, which also affects the kidneys. So, you may want to read some info about mycoplasma synovitis and gout to decide how to proceed. MS can cause swelling of joints and they may have a yellow exudate or secretion.

I'm sorry you are having these problems. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice, as I've never experienced/heard of this before. But fingers crossed it clears up soon.

The secretion was of a cottage cheese consistency, look and color. Reading that article does make me think that is what it is but I would think, given the causes that some others would have it. Still going to keep an eye on her for today, soak her, the make a decision.

Without testing, which is sometimes only available with a necropsy after death, it can be hard to diagnose. Gout is rather rare in chickens, but still seems common here on BYC. It can be caused by many different things, such as too much calcium or salt in the diet, certain viruses, but is thought to have a hereditary predisposition as well. If you decide to put her down, beforehand, I would see about getting a necropsy which are done by state vets or poultry labs in many states. Here is some info about necropsy, and more on gout:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
https://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/animalhealth/StateVets.aspx
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/232/gout/
http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=36

gout%2010jul15.JPG

Back
Top Bottom