both my hens were killed last night

Oh, I'm sorry.
hugs.gif

Chickydeb and Micki - I am so sorry to hear that you lost birds also...
hugs.gif

how long did it take til your remaining birds seemed "okay" and contented again?

hubby has put a harware cloth screen (? heavy duty, very small grid) floor in the coop now, with a nice clean fluffy layer of fresh straw on top. And is busy securing the whole set up.

Mario is silent now, hasn't crowed or clucked since we got home. He looks ok - he's a wild one tho and never lets us come near him. The ladies had been hand raised and were very tame, I hoped that he would come around after seeing them with us.

very very depressing. I had sort of steeled myself to losing some hens once they started free-ranging but as the coop had not been messed with by predators at all since setup I was feeling pretty comfortable about my babies being safe at night.

Definitely a shock to the system.

I can't believe how many of you all go through what I've recently gone through. I thought I was crazy. Kind of like the crazy "cat" lady but with my girls. Losing 4 in a 24 hour period to something and not knowing what it is and how to protect them was devastating for me and I am still just sick about it.
When we inherited them, I just didn't even know they needed that kind of protection.

I know for sure we have a Raccoon, fox and opossum so any one of them (or all of them have done thier damage) I'll elminate them one by one!

I am so sorry for your loss but you are cared for here (I know I have felt that with this great group !) Thank you to everyone for your kind words at a time when I lost my best friends and just couldn't handle it. Stay strong- we're here!

I don't know what it was - but last night it returned and broke into the coop again. Mario was going crazy at 4am - I threw on my boots, hit on the flood lights, grabbed a flashlight and ran outside. Mario was out and in the run - feathers everywhere. The door to the coop was open wide, and the gate to the run had been pried open a bit too.

I was out with him three or four times after that, but come 6 he started just crowing. Mario seems better this morning, calmer once daylight arrived.

Since the creature could no longer burrow in, it managed to pry open the gate and the coop door? Aaaarghhhhh.......
th.gif

This afternoon we'll be changing the way we secure the run gate, and adding a different latch to the coop door as well.....

barnie.gif

ep.gif
Oh my gosh!!!! Poor Mario!!! I'm so glad he survived but he must be so shaken up at this point! I use padlocks on my doors for that very reason. I've heard of raccoons manipulating other types of locks and don't trust them for a second! Sure wish you could catch that culprit. Have you thought of putting some meat in a live trap and trying to get it that way? Also, electric wiring is supposed to be very effective. This is the one thing I hate about having chickens...there's always this nagging fear in the back of my mind that something's going to get them!! Best of luck!

Ellen

i found that the coons get even more determained after you re secure an area and try even harder to get in. it or they will keep at it and it is very fustrating and heartbreaking. in addition to securing more set a trap and sss this one or you are gonna have very bad nights.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom