Bottle calves.... updates on progress

Prayers continue....If you can think of anything at all we can do, I'll do it! Hugs and love to you and those beautiful little mooers.....

The girls are still up and around but the scours, cough and runny noses persist. I have ben very vigilant and tried to keep things to a minimum. This morning I administered some immodium so we will see how that effects the runny hind ends.
fl.gif
I still have them on Tylan 50 and the runny noses don't seem to be as bad as before. They are eating and drinking well. I have added re-sorb and karo syrup to their water to keep their glucose levels up and to help prevent dehydration due to the scours. All I can do is pray and keep it up.

If they are up and moving and eating and drinking, that's a good sign. Generally if a bovine is down things are pretty dire. It's good that they are eating as this will keep their gut active. Obviously they're not in the clear yet, but i'm surprised to hear that they are doing this well. Good luck, it's amazing how calves can steal your heart. I told my husband not to let me keep them too long or I won't be able to eat beef
tongue.png
They really do have personalities.

This was one of my calves from this year, Alvin (when he was younger). He's a big sweetie, he loves to have his chin scratched, it makes him space out
big_smile.png
Now he's out on pasture.

3798_dscn0937.jpg

Quote:
Awwww! Alvin is absolutely adorable! I will get pics of Lucy and Lola as soon as things improve a bit and I can slow down. They are very sweet
smile.png

I've read recently, that a great little boost for scours is to drench with 10 ml of unpastuerized ACV, 10 ml water, 1 tsp. of molasses and a tsp. of garlic juice or powder.

Hope your babies are doing better real soon!

How runny is their stool? Are you familiar with what normal calves stool looks like? It's not solid like other animals, it's always soft. Not runny like liquid, but soft. Good luck with them.

Well, the girls are both still on all fours in spite of everything. The do still have pneumonia and I am steadily treating them with the result that the antibiotic keeps the scours going also. I am just so frustrated! I can not back off because the vet assures me the pneumonia will kill them if I do but the scours is very dangerous as well.
I am putting a pack of prosorb in every bucket of water I give them and it is a blessing in its self because at this tender age, calves do not produce glycogen on their own. It is gained through sugars in their mothers milk. These girls don't have that advantage. It keeps them hydrated as well as providing the needed energy their little bodies have to have to fight the sickness.
They are both eating around 2 pounds of grain with calf manna in it per day steadily. I was advised to keep the milk replacers and milk products away from them so that their rumen would be stimulated to develope at a more rapid rate than normal. The quicker it developes, the better chance they will have.
Just hanging in their and praying that things keep bobbing along.
Any prayers are very welcome from you all as well. These adorable babies need all the help they can get!

Quote:
I don't know their age. They are getting clean hay, yes. They are in a nice dry barn, ventelated but not drafty. Fresh water twice daily and calf feed designed for beef calves which is what they are.

Back
Top Bottom