botulism help

Matthew01

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2017
I think my rooster has botulism. First Ill start at the beginning I brought him in because he had frostbite and would not stand. I gave him a warm bath put him in a warm spot and he wouldn't eat much. He cant stand long only stands to go poop. His poop is green. He sits with his head down. Help. Does he have botulism.

It doesn't sound like botulism which causes flaccid paralysis of legs which progresses quickly to the wings and neck. Can you post a picture or two of his feet? He may be in so much pain that he cannot stand to get enough to eat and drink. I would try to get him in a chicken sling to get him up but off his feet, so that he is sitting in front of his food and water. Electrolytes would be good to add to his water for a couple of days, and give him some chopped egg or wet feed to get him eating. He sounds like he is dehydrated and starving. If his feet are black, he could lose them. If it is just his toes he might do okay, but pictures are helpful.

The picture doesn't look bad, more pics of both feet might be helpful. Can you bring him inside in a crate with food and water for a day or two.

Try some chopped egg, and make a little bowl of his usual feed plus a lot of water to make it like runny oatmeal. Then hold that up to his beak. Some chickens become depressed when they are away from the others. You might see if he will eat in their presence if he still won't eat. I still would like to see more of both legs and feet. Here are some pics of chicken slings:

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg
11732_img_1507.jpg
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg

I would make sure your heat lamp is at least 2 feet away from the chicken, and use a thermometer under the light to keep it at a safe temperature. Does he need the heat lamp? What is the wattage? Since he can't move away from it I would probably would move it farther away or not use it at all.

Back
Top Bottom