Bought 2 goats from auction and their butts are crusty.

So I was finally able to get a hold of the past owner. She told me both does had kidded just 2 weeks ago. So that put my mind at ease. Now I just have to treat the diarrhea, any suggestions for that?

I'm sorry, when you said auction I automatically assumed sales barn! It's good you are getting them from a breeder. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine for CAE or Johnes. I think there is one for CL, but that's all I know of, of those three. Being that you have talked with the owner she would know if she had CAE or Johnes present, and if she hasn't said anything, then I wouldn't think it would be either of those unless she doesn't test for them. I'd worm, treat for coccidia, and keep an eye on them then. Hopefully it's just a little bit of stress from being moved, and they'll bounce right back in a couple days.
I’d ask the former owner when they were last dewormEd and what kind was used

So I was finally able to get a hold of the past owner. She told me both does had kidded just 2 weeks ago. So that put my mind at ease. Now I just have to treat the diarrhea, any suggestions for that?
It might not actually be true diarrhea...new moms have a lot of bloody discharge for about 2 weeks. Then it can totally stop. Then it can start and be orange. If they seem off, or have a fever, I wouldn’t be concerned...that’s normal for after delivery.if she has diarrhea...give some electrolytes..hold back grain.

It might not actually be true diarrhea...new moms have a lot of bloody discharge for about 2 weeks. Then it can totally stop. Then it can start and be orange. If they seem off, or have a fever, I wouldn’t be concerned...that’s normal for after delivery.if she has diarrhea...give some electrolytes..hold back grain.

Thanks for the info, I'll do that!

I just went out to check on the does and had lots of diarrhea:sick
IMG_20200211_215322.jpg

The lady that sold them is a breeder and usually has a good stock of goats and will vaccinate for CAE. I'll try giving them something for worms I guess
Since when has there been a vaccine for CAE? I had no idea one was available. That would be great news if there is. As for your goats, I would have a fecal done to check out worm load and check for cocci.

Back
Top Bottom