Bought 2 goats from auction and their butts are crusty.

Since when has there been a vaccine for CAE? I had no idea one was available. That would be great news if there is. As for your goats, I would have a fecal done to check out worm load and check for cocci.

I had ment CD/T vaccine, I wrote the wrong one

It looks like they could have diarrhea. This could be from a few different causes.

One could be stress, going through a sales barn has to be pretty scary.

Second could be a change in feed like more grain than they are used to, or more grass, etc.

A third would be Coccidia. If that's the case you would want to start treating them with Corrid sooner than later.

A fourth could be a disease called Johnes which is an incurable wasting disease in goats, though yours look like young goats so this probably isn't the case, but if they are over a year it may be worth testing if this doesn't clear up.

A fifth could be CAE, also an incurable disease in goats, and can cause them to to be un-thrifty and have soft poop.

And a final sixth option could be they have a heavy worm load. Worming would be a good idea not knowing where they came from in either case.

It wouldn't hurt to have a vet come check them over. I know buying goats from a sales barn is risky as many people send their sick ones there. This is not an exhaustive list of what can give goats soft poop, but it's some of the more common.

ETA: If this isn't from soft poop, some does when cycling do have quite a bit of discharge that gets gummed up on their tails. It would be possible for them to still be cycling this time of year
Just a comment. My herd of dairy goats was for several years enrolled in some clinical studies having to do with both CAE and Johnes. I never noticed that goats affected with CAE had soft poop. They may have had swollen joints, hard udders after freshening, and poor condition but as I remember their stool was normal. As for Johnes, goats with that disease generally do not scour like cows do. They may have a clumpy stool but that's usually about it. Johnes goats look like they have a heavy worm load. The symptoms show up shortly after kidding and the animals steadily lose condition. They have rough dull coats and they are anemic just as they would be with worms. Animals are usually infected with Johnes when very young, but they may not show symptoms for many years.

Just a comment. My herd of dairy goats was for several years enrolled in some clinical studies having to do with both CAE and Johnes. I never noticed that goats affected with CAE had soft poop. They may have had swollen joints, hard udders after freshening, and poor condition but as I remember their stool was normal. As for Johnes, goats with that disease generally do not scour like cows do. They may have a clumpy stool but that's usually about it. Johnes goats look like they have a heavy worm load. The symptoms show up shortly after kidding and the animals steadily lose condition. They have rough dull coats and they are anemic just as they would be with worms. Animals are usually infected with Johnes when very young, but they may not show symptoms for many years.

Do you think this doe may have johnes?
I've never dealt with a goat having this bad of diarrhea before.

Yeah sorry about that lol, wish there was a vaccine for it

No I don't think your goats have Johnes, and if they did, the diarrhea would not be a symptom of it. Here is the short scoop on Johnes. It is spread in the manure. Goats are usually, but not always, infected as kids. A goat infected with Johnes may not exhibit symptoms for many years but will be spreading the bacteria in her stool periodically all that time. Symptoms of Johnes first appear shortly after kidding. The animal will be bright eyed and alert with a good appetite but will steadily lose condition. The hair coat will be rough and dull and she will be anemic. If you pull down the lower eyelid, the color will be pale pink or white. In other words, she looks exactly like she would if she was carrying a heavy parasite load. In this case, worming doesn't help.

You can have your goats tested for Johnes if you want, and it may not be a bad idea. However, just because your goats have runny butts is no indication that they have Johnes. In fact at this point they do not look like Johnes goats at all.

Thanks for the info, I've never had heard about johnes up until today.
What should I do to treat her diarrhea?
It's so bad, and I've never dealt with this before. Atleast not in goats. When my does have gone into labor and had their kids they had crusty butts and bleeding, but never this runny diarrhea.

Have a fecal run for cocci. Cocci is a very common cause of scours in goats. Also, take their temperature. If they have a fever they may have pneumonia. The stress of moving them may have brought that on. I don't know if you can get an over the counter treatment for cocci at the feed store any more. Regulations have changed so much. I think it is sulmet but I wouldn't bet the rent. Read the label. Anyway, if you can get something it will probably take care of both cocci and pneumonia. Right now, feed dry hay and no grain and see if that helps.

How big of a sample should I take to the vet?

I have corid for treating cocci. I gave her some today.

Okay, I'll get a small sample and try to see if my local vet will do a stool sample.

I haven't checked for a fever on her. I don't have a way of checking it. Guess I gotta add that to my list of things to get.

They are beautiful and very sweet. But this whole poop situation is stressing me out, I just hope my whole herd won't get affected by it and of course I want her to heal too!

Back
Top Bottom