Bought 2 goats from auction and their butts are crusty.

Some of my options were a stretch, but with goats you just never know.

We have one doe in our whole herd with CAE and she has chronic smushy poop. It may be just how she is, but I guess I always associate it with CAE now. We did have Johnes in our herd a ways back and again some did have smushy poop, not watery like this, but enough to make a messy butt. These could all be coincidence and they could have been that way from the stress of it, who knows. Luckily we tested, and tested, and sold off all affected animals and have been tested free for over 5 years now (I hope I'm not jinxing it by saying this, *knock on wood*)

I just know that in some areas goat vets are hard to find and was just trying to cover all bases. The worms, stress, and coccidia were my main guesses.

It's nice to have so many goat people to chat with on here!

Do you have the CAE doe separated from the herd? The virus can be spread to other goats from nasal secretions and from vaginal secretions after kidding. You probably know that but I just threw it in in case you didn't. As for the Johnes goats, the worst their poop got was clumpy, kind of like dog poop. Cows with Johnes will spray the walls. I did immediately cull any and all animals that came up positive for Johnes. I think I only had one or two that were in the advanced stages and that was before I learned what it was and before I was enrolled in the study. By changing some management practices and by doing testing I was fortunately able to eradicate Jones in short order. I found that with CAE, CL, and Johnes, CAE was the most difficult to completely eradicate. CL was the easiest by far to get rid of and that is the one people seem to get the most hysterical and upset about.

Some of my options were a stretch, but with goats you just never know.

We have one doe in our whole herd with CAE and she has chronic smushy poop. It may be just how she is, but I guess I always associate it with CAE now. We did have Johnes in our herd a ways back and again some did have smushy poop, not watery like this, but enough to make a messy butt. These could all be coincidence and they could have been that way from the stress of it, who knows. Luckily we tested, and tested, and sold off all affected animals and have been tested free for over 5 years now (I hope I'm not jinxing it by saying this, *knock on wood*)

I just know that in some areas goat vets are hard to find and was just trying to cover all bases. The worms, stress, and coccidia were my main guesses.

It's nice to have so many goat people to chat with on here!

But it helped me learn more about those issues in goats. Since I've only been raising goats for a couple years, any info is good info for me to keep learning.

And that's good your herd has been tested free of that yucky disease! It always is a great feeling knowing your animals are in good shape!

It helped me too! I went straight and read allll about Johnes!! Now I will be on the look out, because, we plan to go to a buck next year instead of buying another. He was a pain!! Plus, I just bought 6 does, and, didn’t really know what it was all about. Now I can be more informed, and will probably have the tests run now or soon, on everyone to make sure where we stand.

I find that people are the most worried about CAE and CL and don't even test for Johnes. To me CAE and CL are far less of a problem than Johnes. CAE has been weird for us as some of the goats in the past that have tested positive never showed any symptoms of having it, and ones that shouldn't have even had it ended up dying because they had bad symptoms. The one goat we have left with CAE is out in the pasture with the adult and old ladies. As far as we have understood it's much harder for adults to pick it up than kids? We've been testing all these years and none of the others that are with her have come back positive. She is 8 this year I think, and some of the others will be 10 and 11. Her mother also tested positive for it and will be either 11 or 12 this year and was still being milked by the family that bought her :confused: It's so frustrating when there's so much conflicting info out there! One theory is they can test positive simply by having antibodies against it in their system? She's my sisters last goat so there is no getting rid of her either.

I'm glad I could help bring some awareness of some of these for some of you guys. The Johnes was the most devastating to us, and we had to send some very special, expensive, sentimental animals to the sales barn as slaughter only.

We hadn't heard of any of these when we started in goats, and a lot of heartbreak, time, and money could have been saved if we did. It all started out with CL, and an accidental test for CAE instead of CL. We were like, huh, CAE, what's that. With goats you'll see it all if you have them long enough.

I hope your girls are feeling better, and I'm so glad it's nothing more!

Back
Top Bottom