Bought a dz hatching eggs, only 5 fertile, is this the norm/acceptable?

Hi there. :frow

That's a fair question and great that you aren't trying to be accusatory or jumping to conclusion! BYC is a great place for feedback. :highfive:

And boy have I got opinions :oops: and experience. ;)

So please let me ask some questions and share a little to..

On what day did you crack these blanks open? Since you say bought local can I presume they were not shipped? Do you know how many birds are in her flock, their ages, how closely related they are, where they came from, how long she's had them, what she does to test her own fertility, her own personal hatch rate, or anything like that? Also how is the size of the eggs?

I learned to ask the important questions the hard way. :hmm Fortunately it was only a $60 lesson... but now I'm armed with information. :yesss:

It's true that breeding all rose combs CAN lower sperm motility after several generations. Some sneak in a straight comb here and there... as seen in SOOO many hatchery Wyandottes.

I have bred and raised dozens of breeds (and hundreds of birds) to include some of the fluffiest like Silkies and Orpington... not once have I needed to trim fluff to increase fertility... That doesn't mean I don't think it's a possibility. Many MANY things do effect fertility, and I've seen enough to know that just because I haven't experienced it doesn't mean others didn't.

The fact that she gave 18 eggs... kinda says to me that they already suspected something... But maybe they are just more generous than me or keep a larger flock with more to spare.:confused:

As someone who cares very much about my breeding program and understanding that small time... word of mouth and happy customers counts... I would WANT to know that fertility was low. I won't personally sell hatching eggs without verifying fertility and disclosing if it was... here comes the question... "less than acceptable".

One way or the other 5 out of 12 is not an acceptable amount of fertility for selling hatching eggs IMO. That's about 42%, freebies don't even figure into that actual number... which about 28%.

Too many people get a new breed and wanna sell their hatching eggs while their stock is still young... and for a premium. I realized they are sold out for this year, but they are otherwise readily available. I also understand their is MAJOR difference in quality between GOOD breeders (ones who select hard) and hatchery, but reduced chance of disease is a major bonus. In some instances you can sexed chicks for the same cost as the eggs... and I don't mean to dog out the little guy giving a go at an awesome hobby, but....

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Blue-Laced-Red-Wyandotte-p738.aspx

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BLRS

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_laced_red_wyandotte.html

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/blue-laced-red-wyandottes.html

You can only tell by cracking the egg open and checking the blastodisk/blastoderm or the way I do it is by incubating eggs from the same stock... It does NOT have to be a crap shoot. :cool:

ETA: This time of year I just shipped 1 dozen Silkie hatching eggs for a school project and they got 100% fertility and 7/12 hatched. Again so many things factor in.
Thanks so much! I love it when I can learn something
So......

:lau
F8A72F21-3482-45CE-AE5D-E67534B07E41.jpeg
Bringing this bad boy Iffin I purchase eggs would do me no good. Come on now it’s a million candle watt!:lau

No what I’m saying it’s better for chick survival and strength. There’s a reason birds hatch eggs naturally in spring. Sure I suppose if you want to raise chicks in a box with supplemental heat and just bagged feed that will work just fine.

Hi there. :frow

That's a fair question and great that you aren't trying to be accusatory or jumping to conclusion! BYC is a great place for feedback. :highfive:

And boy have I got opinions :oops: and experience. ;)

So please let me ask some questions and share a little to..

On what day did you crack these blanks open? Since you say bought local can I presume they were not shipped? Do you know how many birds are in her flock, their ages, how closely related they are, where they came from, how long she's had them, what she does to test her own fertility, her own personal hatch rate, or anything like that? Also how is the size of the eggs?

I learned to ask the important questions the hard way. :hmm Fortunately it was only a $60 lesson... but now I'm armed with information. :yesss:

It's true that breeding all rose combs CAN lower sperm motility after several generations. Some sneak in a straight comb here and there... as seen in SOOO many hatchery Wyandottes.

I have bred and raised dozens of breeds (and hundreds of birds) to include some of the fluffiest like Silkies and Orpington... not once have I needed to trim fluff to increase fertility... That doesn't mean I don't think it's a possibility. Many MANY things do effect fertility, and I've seen enough to know that just because I haven't experienced it doesn't mean others didn't.

The fact that she gave 18 eggs... kinda says to me that they already suspected something... But maybe they are just more generous than me or keep a larger flock with more to spare.:confused:

As someone who cares very much about my breeding program and understanding that small time... word of mouth and happy customers counts... I would WANT to know that fertility was low. I won't personally sell hatching eggs without verifying fertility and disclosing if it was... here comes the question... "less than acceptable".

One way or the other 5 out of 12 is not an acceptable amount of fertility for selling hatching eggs IMO. That's about 42%, freebies don't even figure into that actual number... which about 28%.

Too many people get a new breed and wanna sell their hatching eggs while their stock is still young... and for a premium. I realized they are sold out for this year, but they are otherwise readily available. I also understand their is MAJOR difference in quality between GOOD breeders (ones who select hard) and hatchery, but reduced chance of disease is a major bonus. In some instances you can sexed chicks for the same cost as the eggs... and I don't mean to dog out the little guy giving a go at an awesome hobby, but....

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Blue-Laced-Red-Wyandotte-p738.aspx

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BLRS

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_laced_red_wyandotte.html

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/blue-laced-red-wyandottes.html

You can only tell by cracking the egg open and checking the blastodisk/blastoderm or the way I do it is by incubating eggs from the same stock... It does NOT have to be a crap shoot. :cool:

ETA: This time of year I just shipped 1 dozen Silkie hatching eggs for a school project and they got 100% fertility and 7/12 hatched. Again so many things factor in.

@EggSighted4Life , They were sold as Hatching eggs, i cracked them open just past a week, I can't remember now but I think right at 7 or 8 days, the 5 already had OBVIOUS signs of development, when I asked her about fertility she said she has great rates and only occasionally pulls a few clear ones. She said she has been breeding for several years and adds new stock she buys from shows yearly. And hatches and adds yearly. Now I didn't ask how big or old the stock was, didn't think to. She said she had won numerous prizes from her stock. They were not shipped. I will attach a pic of one of the developing eggs to tonight but they carry in size but don't look like pullet eggs to ME, but I am fairly new to all this. Sheesh, I am pretty bummed about this and think I will message her tomarrow, because for 50 bucks i am dissapointed, 5 chicks IF they make it out of the shell. YIKES 10$ a egg, but if even half were fertile i would of been happy. I get it's not a good time to buy eggs buuut, sheesh, I had no idea if this was a expected outcome with hatching eggs or ..but apparently not, thanks for sharing this info

Peepers sorry for you outcome. Thank you for your post. I learned a lot.
And yes you had a pretty healthy investment into your eggs. I personally have never bought/hatched eggs. But I find the whole process very interesting.
I tend to know my limits. And I say that because I learned so much the hard way.
I just might hatch some someday. Dunno. I hope you have great success with the ones that are developing. I couldn’t imagine the excitement when they hatch.
Best wishes

No what I’m saying it’s better for chick survival and strength. There’s a reason birds hatch eggs naturally in spring. Sure I suppose if you want to raise chicks in a box with supplemental heat and just bagged feed that will work just fine.
I had read that chick strength and survival were better in spring...

That has not been my personal experience... I see absolutely ZERO difference between my winter or spring hatched chicks... that I have quantified yet... but it's worth taking a DEEPER look into. :pop

I agree that in NATURE that is the way... There need to be more spring chicks to feed the spring hawklings and such... but here my birds do have access to same abundance of feed all year long... I have broody's in the breaker ALL winter long. I don't have to keep them in a box, my pasture is green and bugs are EVEN more abundant than in summer and they can warm up under broody's, should that be the route I choose. :)

Indeed people do have different environments, set ups, and ideas. :thumbsup

But I did NOT miss out on part that is TRUE for SOME flocks in your first post... that fertility CAN be lower this time of year! :highfive:
They were sold as Hatching eggs, i cracked them open just past a week
I only ask because I remember reading that after a period of time that evidence may not still be left but somehow degraded and re absorbed to look like nothing ever happened... so I was just curious, as I am here to learn. Doesn't sound like that was your issue at all.

Giving that this person does show with several years of experience with the same breed... and you DID discuss fertility and had a reasonable expectation of "good" fertility... I hope that when you approach kindly you will get a satisfactory resolution! Have you thought about what that might be?

Hoping for 100% hatch rate of all that were fertile! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

If they are selling them as fertile yes. Otherwise they would be what possibly fertile. Dunno haven’t bought eggs before. So how do you? Is it just a cross your fingers crap shoot. For 50$ there should be some kind of accountability shouldn’t there? Or am I nuts? (Don’t answer that)

Sadly I do not know of a way to tell fertility without opening the egg. I keep hoping to find a way though! Like you said, it is a crap shoot with fertility when you buy hatching eggs

Yep. The fertility is definitely lower in most flocks. Roosters rarely mate as often during fall and even then it’s their favorite hens that stay fertile. Lower hormone levels are flowing through the males. Your individual location obviously makes a difference.
The op is in NC so while not as drastic as some locations it’s definitely enough to make a difference hatching eggs in fall vs spring.
Then again I do like to keep things as natural as possible.
I think egg quality is better in spring too I have no way to prove it though but I’m sure I could if I looked hard enough. ;)

Back
Top Bottom