Bought a premade coop, now I am questioning.

It's a beautiful coop and looks well-made, but would be a little small for that many chickens even with an outside run. If inclement weather, etc, there are times they can't or don't go out and then they would be way crowded. Maybe there are better options out there, though I wouldn't kick this pretty thing out of my chicken yard!

6x4 = 24 sq ft. That is 2 sq ft per chicken for 12 birds, or about 1.75 sq ft per chicken for 15.

I personally think that is asking for trouble more than is necesssary, since for that price you could buy a premade shed that is twice or three times the square footage and it would require next to no work to retrofit it as a coop.

If you want to put 15 (or even just 12) chickens in a 4x6 coop, you'd better bank on them being sedate and friendly with each other, AND give them a run that they really want to spend all their time in, even in January.

Good luck,

Pat

That is an awesome coop. But everyone is right, that's WAY too small for a lot of birds. If you want a happy group of birds figure 6 to 8 bantams or 6 standard birds. It's a lot of chickens, they are so much fun and it is SOOOO addicting.

Good luck deciding what to do.

Michael

We have purchased that exact same coop.

Overall, we are pretty ok with it. Any of the Lowe's or Home Depot sheds would be taxed in our county, and we will not give the government any more money! And, we are old and retired and have had a rough year, so we just bit the bullet so to speak.

We have mad a few changes here and there, add a droppings board under the roost bars. Using only 2 of the nest boxes at the most, leaves 4 to fill with feed, grit, water bowls, etc to save space.

I WOULD NOT put as many chickens as they say in this coop. SIX max.
But we are on Lake Superior where the weather can be nasty for days on end, and they will spend alot of time in their coop. That's why we have only 6. I couldn't imagine 15 birds in there, they would barely have room to stand next to each other! (I am talking standard breeeds, specifically Buff Orps.)

We are in the process of building a 12'x27' run with a fully covered metal roof. Height is 8' and the coop sits INSIDE the run. There will be a "chicken deck" off the pop hole door, so they can walk straight out the pop hole (and not down the ramp) and be on their 4'x4' "deck. (The ramp being at the end of the deck.) This deck will be covered in the wintertime with a small hoop house to encourage them to "play" outside. Even with these additions I still won't put more than 6 birds in this coop.

JMHO, and I hope this helps. This is really a great little coop and there's alot you can do TO it and AROUND it. But it is NOT a coop for 12-15 birds, unless you are prepared for the consequences of over crowding hens.

Have fun!

Ma

Okay, guys, I knew something wasn't feeling right.

I need at least an 8x10.... and I am workign on that.

But that mypetchicken place is making me mad. They received my order at 4 p.m. last night. At 10:30 a.m. this morning (not even 24 hours from then), I called and requested it be canceled.

At first the woman said, "If we haven't contacted you by phone, you can cancel the order". Of course, I was happy with that and said great, but then she said oh hold on, and got back on and said - they could be painting it right now, if they are, then I can't get a refund.

WTHeck?
hmm.png
There is NO WAY that they are painting it now. In fact, the website says if it has not shipped yet, I can cancel the order.

We KNOW it hasn't shipped yet.

Okay, got ahold of another person there, canceled that order - am looking at a larger one - 8x10 with more roosting space as well.

Last edited:
Well, it's all straightened out, it's canceled. I'm getting the 8x10 from an Amish place in Shrewsbury (unless I hear of a better deal) and having it painted to match my house... so instead of 24 sf, I will have 80 sf for 15 (or 16, as we are supposed to get a "bonus chick" - don't ask... LOL!)

Last edited:
Well I guess I just wasted the last hour +/- riding around on my motorcycle looking at sheds
hit.gif
I had a good ride, and found a new builder that will custom make a 4x8 with all the goodies for 700. Glad you found someone closer, I know there is a place up just above the Buck, and Black Bear structures a little south of the buck. Most will deliver within 25 miles for free. Buy me lunch and I will come help put in roosts and such, you have to have tools, because I dont think they will fit on the motorcycle.
wee.gif
To a bigger house, which in turn leads to MORE Chickens. Invite me over, I will provide a bonus chick.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom