Bought DE (or so I thought) and ended up with...

Quote:
I do use DE all year round. DO you have a fleet farm there? I know they carry the red lake earth brand ior whatever it is properly called. It is reddish brown stuff. I get mine from a different location and it is white food grade. A 50 lb bag costs about $26

When I had just learned about DE I went searching high and low for the stuff and couldn't find it anywhere so I broke down and ordered some online for $16... 2 lb bag is what I got. Finally a local fellow BYC'er told me about a feed mill not too far away that had it, I called and they were fresh out but ordered more and told me it would be in the following week, the following week came and they called me to let me know their shipment had come in and they were holding a bag for me which I thought was awesome. I have been on the same 50 lb bag now for almost 2 years and not even half way thru it yet so a little goes a long way.

Well thanks everyone for the advice and ideas! I just got back from getting the DE I had paid for the other day. Turns out that the 50 lb bag of that was $30 (which I paid) and the Aragonite that was loaded in my truck is $10/50 lb, so I would have seriously overpaid for a calcium supplement if I hadn't done something about it! We kept the Aragonite and will use that for supplementation later. The fellow I dealt with at the store was SUPER nice and very apologetic for what happened. He explained that some of their help isn't too sharp on what's what, and he needs to get them to better understand their product line. Anyway, super nice, helpful, and I will be going back to them in the future, as they offer many organic products that I can't get at TSC.

I am going to get that bag of DE opened up and sprinkle some in the bedding later today - thanks again for all of the helpful info!

Trase...I, too have had trouble finding food grade DE here in Michigan. I live north east of Sturgis (if you know where that is..lol)
You mentioned the family you got yours from has another store "downstate". I was wondering if you have any information on their other store? Hopefully it may be close enough for me to check it out. I have been using the stall dry with DE in it from tsc in the bedding and nest boxes, as it is all that I could find locally. I would very much appreciate any info you might have on their other store.
Thank You
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi BantyBev!

Their other store is in Troy, MI, so I don't think that helps you too much unfortunately! I actually do know where Sturgis is at if you can believe it! I used to work for a company that sold equipment and I would go on the road with the sales rep to help support it during trade shows, etc, and I was frequently in the navigator seat in the truck. We'd go down to Indianapolis and I remember seeing signs for Sturgis along the route.
smile.png

This is their website: http://www.unclelukes.com/ I got mine at the Flushing location. I don't know if you ever make it to either area for other reasons, if you do, maybe it would be worth a peek.

I think quite a few of these feed/elevator places are just not aware of the use of DE in chicken coops - it was news to these folks, as well as some other places I checked with around our area (well, within an hour of us anyway, I checked in all directions!) Maybe we need to come up with an educational flyer to hand out LOL
smile.png

Thanks for the quick responce Trase
smile.png

I guess I will keep looking around here. I still don't even know where all the feed stores are in my area, as I am new to chickens
big_smile.png

Maybe I can take a road trip to Troy sometime this Spring. Since I am so close to rural Indiana, I might find a feed store somewhere closer, hopefully.

I agree about the educational flyer for these places. No one I have contacted knew what I was talking about either
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom