VetRx for Respiratory issue -- instead I have a home remedy that worked for me!

sfchixn

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
Just had to share a home solution for respiratory ailment that I just discovered.

I noticed that one of our chicks (4 weeks old) was having an issue with breathing. She would open her mouth every time she breathed and look like she was gasping for air. I honestly thought that we would lose her so looked up some remedies online. I was reading that VetRx might help, so I placed an order to TSC for pickup. 2 hours later, they canceled my order with no explanation. I called the store and spoke to the manager who told me that my order was canceled because they were out of stock.

So I went back online and found the ingredients for VetRx: INGREDIENTS: Made with 3.3% (v-v) Alcohol U.S.P.. This proven mixture contains Canada Balsam, Camphor OilOriganum, Oil Rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.

Camphor is a menthol-like oil. Methol. Hall's Methol Eucalyptus! I have a bag of those in my medicine cabinet. I took one Hall's and put it in a small saucepan with about 1 cup of water and brought the water to boiling while stirring the Hall's to dissolve it. Put your nose over it and take a whiff. It should smell like it would clear up your lungs. To make it a bit more potent, I added 2 drops of lavender oil that I have on hand. If I had it, I could have also chosen to add tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil.

I poured the solution into a mug to keep it warm and used my fingers to dip, then apply the solution to my chick's nostrils, comb and dribbled some into her mouth. Also used solution to wet the underside of both her wings.

The next morning, she was completely fine -- no more labored breathing. In fact, I could not tell which one of the chicks had the issue!

Ok, maybe this was a fluke but wait! I had another pen with a chick that had the same respiratory symptoms. I used the same solution, reheated it, and again, the next day her symptoms were gone and she also disappeared into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom