1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought Goslings. Not Happy

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Omniskies, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Ok, this is venting frustration more than anything else. But I genuinely am frustrated.

A few weeks ago I came across a guy who was selling "hatchery overstock" he had bought. He had a bunch of goslings amidst chick, poults and ducklings. In the mix he had four Pilgrim females, a few American Buffs and a bunch of Tufted Romans.

Being an overly-enthusiastic idiot I jumped and bought all of them. All fourteen.

At that time these guys were still a few days old. Now their feathers are barely coming in and it's easier to see what colors they'll be when they're older. Most of the American Buffs have turned a suspicious shade of pure white and are probably Embdens.

Ok, fine. I can deal with that.

Some of the Tufted Romans don't look like they'll be white. Some kinda look like a saddleback grey of some sort. That could still be their baby fuzz, so I'm waiting.

Tufted Romans were just a spur of the moment thing for fun so I can cope with them being weird.

Now I'm pretty sure the Pilgrim females - which would have been an amazing find - are either Toulouse or mutts. I brought one inside a few minutes ago because she had a cold and noticed she had a white bib forming on her chest. It no longer looks like the yellow stripe of fuzz you see on Toulouse undersides. This is a big patch of white you'd expect to see on a Swedish Duck.

That really frustrated me. I can't sell any of these goslings because I don't know if they're pure or not and raised them with the intent of keeping them around, so they're too tame to butcher. At this point they're almost three weeks old. I have no idea how to tell a young Toulouse from a young female Pilgrim, I don't like selling something if I don't know what it is, and I'm kind of ticked.

If it's too good to be true...

Gr.

2. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    It looks like your goose got cooked!!
    14 is a lot of geese. Especially if they are ones you don't want. Bummer!!
    I am guilty of impulse buying birds too.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by