Bought new chicks need help knowing their breed

The one at the very back is more orangey looking, so speculating will turn out reddish. The 2 at the front look to be the same breed, so will likely look the same as adults, probably some sort of buff tone. With the yellow legs, buff Plymouth rocks is a possibility, but by no means the only option. The one back left with the eye streak will be different from the others also. Has white legs, so not a buff rock. Still have lots of possibilities. All appear to have straight combs. Body shape is still appearing too. Mediterranean breeds (which would be good in your climate) are a distinct possibility. They're going to be leaner, while heavier breeds will be wider/thicker. Keep updating with weekly pics.
I mean there is 7 of them but they all have similar characteristics but at the same time they all look different lol some are more buff some have greenish legs others have them more yellow these ones are pretty big so far and I will try and keep posting weekly see how they turn out

The problem here is there I many mutt layer breeds from people not keeping to a certain standard so they’ll mix RIR with let’s say a leghorn or with an actual mutt chicken so sometimes breeds don’t look like pics you’d see here or on google
In that case, they could easily be mixes of some sort.
A mix of Rhode Island Red with something else is a definite possibility, given their coloring.

That’s what I was thinking I heard they were all females and based on my personal experience sometimes the one with the biggest combs just end up being big females
I agree, it could go either way. I'd love an update when they are old enough to tell for sure, because I like to know which answer was really correct :)

In that case, they could easily be mixes of some sort.
A mix of Rhode Island Red with something else is a definite possibility, given their coloring.

I agree, it could go either way. I'd love an update when they are old enough to tell for sure, because I like to know which answer was really correct :)
I’ll try and post weekly as someone suggested this Monday I’ll see if I can post a pic

I mean there is 7 of them but they all have similar characteristics but at the same time they all look different lol some are more buff some have greenish legs others have them more yellow these ones are pretty big so far and I will try and keep posting weekly see how they turn out
This is week #1 at my place technically so far they’ve gotten so big so fast as you can tell there’s some changes already I’m giving them 30% protein feed since it’s what I have on hand should I switch or give them the same ? I’ve never had problems with the feed I’ve used it as chick starter but just wondering
IMG_0741.jpeg
IMG_0739.jpeg
IMG_0743.jpeg

I’m giving them 30% protein feed since it’s what I have on hand should I switch or give them the same ? I’ve never had problems with the feed I’ve used it as chick starter but just wondering
Using that feed is probably okay.

Given how high the protein level is, you could also give them small amounts of something low-protein and cheap if you want to (maybe corn? or table scraps?) But it should be fine to just stick with the food you are using, and it's certainly simpler to use all one kind rather than trying to add anything.

Using that feed is probably okay.

Given how high the protein level is, you could also give them small amounts of something low-protein and cheap if you want to (maybe corn? or table scraps?) But it should be fine to just stick with the food you are using, and it's certainly simpler to use all one kind rather than trying to add anything.
I’m trying giving them the adults feed which has some peas,corn, sunflower seeds etc but they don’t really care for it

Back
Top Bottom