1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought Used chicken coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesus freak, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I recently bought a used chicken coop and was wondering how much I should sterelize it before putting my birds in? Thanks [​IMG]

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    How long since it was used?
    Scrape out all old poo.
    I would at least use bleach water and wet it down good, then let dry.....don't use until odor is gone or I use OXINE, mix with activator and water and spray entire coop. LET DRY THEN CHICKENS CAN GO RIGHT IN. Oxine without activator can be sprayed right on chickens. I use Oxine without activator each time I clean the coop...thats about twice a week.
    Google Oxine.

Have fun

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Also keep in mind the red roost mite that hides in cracks and comes out at night. I'd be spraying it with permethrin or use some poultry dust in there to kill any eggs of anything.

I agree with floridalee- bleach it well. Haven't tried oxine.

Oh and there was something that was only killed by ammonia but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

aha! found it!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6887642
    see post #9

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Not sure what your "coop" is. If it is open at all set it in the sun (if there is an sun) after bleaching and make sure the ALL the bleach smell is gone. That should do the trick. If it has been forever since chickens were in the coop it disinfect easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by