Bourbon Red color variations?

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
So, we have some Boubon red turkeys that came from Murray McMurray.

Our Tom is a deep red, almost a chocolate brown, with almost black tips on his body feathers

Our hen is much more “bright” red than the Tom. Their offspring have been darker/ closer to dads color in most cases.

I met a neighbor today who also says that they have a pair of bourbon red turkeys, but they are a completely different color.... more.... mmmm sandy/ lighter colored. Feather tips are lighter, not darker.

I remember reading recently about a rare color variation in the BR variety, but I’m not having any luck finding the article again.

Can someone help me with what the “proper” color is?
Or with what variety the neighbor’s turkeys might be?

I will try to add pix in order,
Our Tom,
Our hen behind our Tom (she is camera shy lol)
And the neighbor’s Tom

Attachments

• 566528B5-6D39-4014-B2D8-8F1B8B0E12BD.jpeg
    566528B5-6D39-4014-B2D8-8F1B8B0E12BD.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 5F409E8C-5227-4FA2-A80B-F6E73D531750.jpeg
    5F409E8C-5227-4FA2-A80B-F6E73D531750.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • FA8ABC01-953E-4561-AA9E-3334ABEA0D02.jpeg
    FA8ABC01-953E-4561-AA9E-3334ABEA0D02.jpeg
    907.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Our Tom is a deep red, almost a chocolate brown, with almost black tips on his body feathers

Our hen is much more “bright” red than the Tom. Their offspring have been darker/ closer to dads color in most cases.

I met a neighbor today who also says that they have a pair of bourbon red turkeys, but they are a completely different color.... more.... mmmm sandy/ lighter colored. Feather tips are lighter, not darker.

I remember reading recently about a rare color variation in the BR variety, but I’m not having any luck finding the article again.

Our Tom,
And the neighbor’s Tom
fa8abc01-953e-4561-aa9e-3334abea0d02-jpeg.3660627
Your neighbor's tom is not a Bourbon Red (bb rr) . You have Bourbon Reds.

His looks like a Self Buff (b’b’ nn (n-) rr ee (e-)) although it might be a different variety.

Our Tom,
And the neighbor’s Tom

Your neighbor has Bourbon Buff. Basically a Bourbon Red with Narragansett genes (bb rr nn).

Your neighbor has Bourbon Buff. Basically a Bourbon Red with Narragansett genes (bb rr nn).
X2
There is a fair amount of variation in Bourbon red but they are always more on the orange/red end of the spectrum than yellow.
And proper Bourbon Reds are dark as can be.
8585A30A-D447-488A-9D51-BA6D87053870.jpeg

X2
There is a fair amount of variation in Bourbon red but they are always more on the orange/red end of the spectrum than yellow.
And proper Bourbon Reds are dark as can be.View attachment 3673353
Thank you for the feedback.
Looks like our Tom is “proper” and his hen is on the light side of the preferred color range. :/

More to think about! Lol
Time to go back to porter’s calculator and think about whether or not the self buff would be of any benefit to play with in our small breeding program.

I’m thinking no, as our Holland Whites are second in priority to our Sweetgrass...
I like how quickly the HWs grow, I love their generally (turkey version of) chill temperament, the BR is just very popular in our area as poults- but I also don’t want to be passing along color “faults”
.....even though most of our poults go to people who want eggs (even if seasonal) most of all.... second reported goal from our customers is raising their own thanksgiving bird (plus maybe along w a few spares to sell/ share)...

The HW is not very popular around here, but I don’t really understand why. Except that they are “boring” and white :/
And beautiful on the table. And a lot of fun to have on the property.

I’m loving our Sweetgrass “teenagers”
I look forward to seeing how they grow out compared to the BR and the HW

I haven’t seen any info on “average” time frames to reach peak weight for the Sweetgrass. I am fairly confident that is due to the fact that there is still a fair amount of variation in size (etc) due to outcrossing and the “younger” variety.

But I’m very excited to learn more about them as we go!!

Thank you for the feedback.
Looks like our Tom is “proper” and his hen is on the light side of the preferred color range. :/

More to think about! Lol
Time to go back to porter’s calculator and think about whether or not the self buff would be of any benefit to play with in our small breeding program.

I’m thinking no, as our Holland Whites are second in priority to our Sweetgrass...
I like how quickly the HWs grow, I love their generally (turkey version of) chill temperament, the BR is just very popular in our area as poults- but I also don’t want to be passing along color “faults”
.....even though most of our poults go to people who want eggs (even if seasonal) most of all.... second reported goal from our customers is raising their own thanksgiving bird (plus maybe along w a few spares to sell/ share)...

The HW is not very popular around here, but I don’t really understand why. Except that they are “boring” and white :/
And beautiful on the table. And a lot of fun to have on the property.

I’m loving our Sweetgrass “teenagers”
I look forward to seeing how they grow out compared to the BR and the HW

I haven’t seen any info on “average” time frames to reach peak weight for the Sweetgrass. I am fairly confident that is due to the fact that there is still a fair amount of variation in size (etc) due to outcrossing and the “younger” variety.

But I’m very excited to learn more about them as we go!!
(Bourbon buff, self buff is a different variety.)
But yes.
I think Holland Whites are underappreciated also.
I drew one to show appreciation. :)
7FD1DE32-A1D8-4E5F-8890-C7010C1B3A7F.jpeg

(Bourbon buff, self buff is a different variety.)
But yes.
I think Holland Whites are underappreciated also.
I drew one to show appreciation. :)View attachment 3674598
Beautiful drawing!

I -love- our Holland whites 💕
They are docile, curious, fun little feathered pterodactyls 🥰

I am of the opinion that if everyone that wanted a bourbon red, had enough time to hang w both the HW and BR adults, no one would want a BR poult.

....I may be very biased to be honest 😂

So far, our Sweetgrass are showing similar temperaments to the HW
🤞 That this will continue as they grow.
I’ve made a point of not fussing w the Sweetgrass babies, unless someone has a problem/ needs something.

They are wary, but very manageable. I think this is perhaps the best balance...

Attachments

• 959C9B2F-4FD3-4E05-84ED-66CE28CA44A4.jpeg
    959C9B2F-4FD3-4E05-84ED-66CE28CA44A4.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DA4D7C27-4F18-4B70-B038-F28B8E738ECC.jpeg
    DA4D7C27-4F18-4B70-B038-F28B8E738ECC.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 15
Beautiful drawing!

I -love- our Holland whites 💕
They are docile, curious, fun little feathered pterodactyls 🥰

I am of the opinion that if everyone that wanted a bourbon red, had enough time to hang w both the HW and BR adults, no one would want a BR poult.

....I may be very biased to be honest 😂

So far, our Sweetgrass are showing similar temperaments to the HW
🤞 That this will continue as they grow.
I’ve made a point of not fussing w the Sweetgrass babies, unless someone has a problem/ needs something.

They are wary, but very manageable. I think this is perhaps the best balance...
Wow, so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom