1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bourbon Red thread... or maybe just Bourbon thread?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by gifters, May 26, 2015.

1. gifters

gifters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Up until this past week it was Dumor Starter 24% Protien, because they're with our New Hampshires. They've been on and off outside for the past 2 weeks and they often have gotten crickets and meal worms, anywhere from 60 - 90 crickets regularly, the last one was 180 crickets for both the chickens and the Turkeys 16 birds combined, they ate them all and loved it.

2. turksinmaine

turksinmaine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    I asked because loking at your birds comparing to mine same age, mine are almost double in size. mine are on 28% protein. they get meal worms occasionally, plenty of greens. amazing the difference from just 4% change.

3. gifters

Apr 7, 2015
    How big are your birds, pictures can make size appear off.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4. turksinmaine

May 28, 2015
    they range from 1 1/4 - 2 lbs .do you weigh yours?

5. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll post this just because
    [​IMG]

There are thirteen of them, around 8-10 weeks. Just moved them into this 30x12 hoop house a week and a half ago.

I had for two years ago but they were all toms. Made great Thanksgiving meals, though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  6. gifters

Apr 7, 2015
    Just weighed them with an old baby scale we have for some reason to which I don't know. They're 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. Our largest NH chickens are at 1 1/2 lbs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  7. turksinmaine

May 28, 2015
    guess you may be right about the photo thing. They looked about a pound judging from pix. Mine are weighed from gram food scale,they all are 6 weeks old today.

8. gifters

Apr 7, 2015
    Here is a video of my turkeys from today, they'll be 7 weeks old tomorrow

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. turksinmaine

May 28, 2015
    Video does more look like they are the right size for age. much different from photos.

10. gifters

Apr 7, 2015
    Well I was hoping with the picture someone would just say you have x hens and x toms, so I took close up pictures but they're not high enough quality for that. So far I have two gobbling pathetically and strutting so I assume they're Toms, and I assume the other two, one which has strutted pathetically are hens.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by