Bourbon Red Turkeys AKA Animal Control (PICS AND STORY INCLUDED)

Well prepare yourself for a bunch of great turkeys. Sounds like you will starve this year.
gig.gif
We have a giant white that is the oldest chick right now and we call him "the muscle". Since he was raised with our baby chickens they all hide behind him when the guineas come over. lol Our bourbon reds are just wee little things right now.

A GREAT story Kuntrygirl ! The pics tell all.

I have heard of Turkeys doing similar, they have a great sense of what should be, my Wishards sure did. No big strangers were allowed, of any kind. Dogs, varmints, you name it. Chicks if they were accompanied by a parent were tolerated, no unsupervised kids were allowed.

Now I have just one Bourbon Red chick, and four Black Spanish so who knows what will be, its going to be interesting, they will be with 8 chicken chicks in the outside brooder so they will be accustomed to chickens. I am debating on clipping, when they go to their owwn pen it will be covered with netting.

It will be interesting whatever.

A GREAT story Kuntrygirl !  The pics tell all.

I have heard of Turkeys doing similar, they have a great sense of what should be, my Wishards sure did.  No big strangers were allowed, of any kind. Dogs, varmints, you name it. Chicks if they were accompanied by a parent were tolerated, no unsupervised kids were allowed.

Now I have just one Bourbon Red chick, and four Black Spanish so who knows what will be, its going to be interesting, they will be with 8 chicken chicks in the outside brooder so they will be accustomed to chickens. I am debating on clipping, when they go to their owwn pen it will be covered with netting.

It will be interesting whatever.

Thank you.

I'm not a big fan of clipping turkey wings but will clip a chicken's wing. Unless a turkey is a flight risk, i wouldn't clip any wings.

Looks like my turkey's next big problem are crows. They didn't appreciate this crow coming into the yard and figured that they better go over and warn him. I have not seen another crow since that day. :lol:

I almost forgot about this pic. I had to laugh when I found this pic. I remember this day like it was yesterday. :lau They tore his butt UP. This was my neighbor's rooster who kept coming in the yard and attacked me on several occasions. Well, the turkeys took care of him once and for all. ;)

Your turkeys are great!!! Who needs a guard dog on Kuntrygirls Farm. She has got a gang of guard turkeys, better watch out. I love that they herd things as a group!

Your turkeys are great!!! Who needs a guard dog on Kuntrygirls Farm. She has got a gang of guard turkeys, better watch out. I love that they herd things as a group!

Thank you! I say the same thing. They are ruthless!! And they do work as a group. They know when an animal DOES NOT belong in the yard. They know who lives there and who doesn't. I don't know how they can recognize a "new bird" or animal but they can. I don't know how they do it. When one of them makes a distress call, you better believe the rest of them will be running around the corner within 3 seconds flat. I will have to try to video tape them and post it. It is hilarious!!:gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom