Bourbon Red turkeys sick and dying

spencerfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
We have had two Bourbon Red turkeys to get sick and die. They died weeks apart. We thought the first one was a flook, as noone else was sick but then today we went out and one was listless and then died. They were all fine yesterday. What could the cause be? They literally look fine one day and then the next are lifeless and then die. It's very quick whatever it is. They free range on a very large pasture area.

They free range on a very large area, like 2 acres, and chickens do go through the fence some. They stay pretty seperate and do have seperate coops. They are 18 wks. old. It's sounding more and more like Cocci. I am planning to quarantine the rest of them in a horse trailer for a few days and medicate their water. Do you recommend Sulmet or Corid? The Sulmet looks extremely pricey.

They free range so it is hard to notice but like I said I am quarantining them tomorrow. What color should I be looking for and what does it mean? Should I be looking at the chickens poo, as well? I really want to save these last 7 turkeys. I think I am also going to fence them another area further away.

Quote:
I was thinking if you saw "mustard yellow" poop from your turkey's, you might be dealing with a protozoa that kills turkey's quickly...blackhead. The protozoa is inside the cecal worm which is carried in chicken poop. You can google "blackhead in poultry" and read about it. After you read up on it and see if it matches what you are dealing with, you'll need to treat your turkey's first with metronidazole. Then you will need to worm them and your chickens as well to kill the host of the protozoa...the cecal worm. Read up on it first. It also could be cocci...you might want to take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope. They check for worms and cocci and shouldnt cost much.

I may be reading to much into the symptoms for blackhead but it seems like they take longer to die with blackhead. Literally our turkeys are eating and drinking fine one day and dead the next. Thank you so much for all of the help!!

I wanted to update. I have quarantined my turkeys and everyone's poo looks fine. No sulphur yellow color. One of my chickens did look a little runny today but not a strange color. They are all still eating and drinking fine. I did add Wazine to their water for worming. Any other suggestions? If it were blackhead or Cocci what should I else should I look for? Our feed store didn't have the Corrid so my husband is going to look around for it tomorrow.

Just an FYI.
I have raised turkeys and chickens together for 4 years. I have never had any problems with blackhead. But I have had very few problems with my flocks. The worst thing that has happened was a couple of my birds were egg bound and my turkeys did get fowl pox one fall. All recovered and were fine.
Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom