Bout had a heart attack, who else got a lot of snow in/on there pens?

You too huh? You guys getting this storm they've dubbed "Snownami 2011" too? We're basically in the Kansas City Missouri area, and are facing this icky blizzard!

We're expecting a foot or more here. Not sure where you are in Kansas, but hopefully you're clear of this mess.

I've been going out and shoveling the path to the duck pen off and on all day. They're miserable and holed up in the pen for the day. I left their door open, but they say no way!

Quote:
15˚ and surrounded by snow that just keeps coming. Seems like once you get to the pen you turn around and its piled up again. thankfully the only loss i've had today is when that wild hen that was staying with me flew the coop when i accidentally spooked her, she might be back, who knows.

It's going to hit here (Detroit area) tonight. I plan on going out a couple of times in the night to broom it off of the tops of the pens and my greenhouse. Better safe than sorry, wouldn't want a collapse. This isn't going to be the light, fluffy stuff from what the NWS is saying.

46527_snowed_pen_2011.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, that's heart attack and panic-worthy, I don't care what anyone else thinks to the contrary! It's easy for someone to call panic a drama when it's someone else's high dollar birds and/or beloved pets. I sure have sat up late at night and worried about birds myself. The 3am visit out to the barn is sometimes needed for sleep to come here...those drifts are the kind of thing that would sure have me worried! I went and banged all the ice off the tops of my breeding pens earlier, just in case...no ducks in them now, but no need to stress the structures of them either.

We have been hammered this winter. It's my first year as a duck owner so I was pretty upset to walk out one morning and while the house and attached run are elevated so no snow blocking, there was snow blown all into the run and one of my poor runners could not get up.

My husband and I then hung plexiglass all around the fenced area, leaving the top couple of inches open for air circulation. Usually they free range but when the weather is bad I leave them in. At least a storm like we had today and will have tomorrow I don't have to worry about them being able to get out and get fresh air without being buried in snow. I had a woman that lives not far from me tell me she lost 2 ducks during the last big storm. She thinks they must have been sitting and gotten confused by the blowing snow and covered in a snow drift.

Well, there is a lot of drifting here at my 2am check, some of the drifts are about 2 feet deep...I'd say if it's hard for people to walk through, it'd be killer for ducks, especially if they are not able to fly well or particularly smart about when and where to fly.

This is typical of upstate NY......... The two mounds near the back of the truck are two vehicles. All my critters are kept indoors during the winter.

52212_img_0349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom