Bow legged duckling.

Melbi90

In the Brooder
May 15, 2023
I have 13 ducklings 3 are around 4.5 weeks old and 10 are around 4 weeks. All but one are fine. The one pekin 4 weeks old is bow legged and extremely pigion toed. I have tried adding niacin to its diet but the flock feed I use has enough niacin in it. The bigger it gets the worse it gets. It gets around ok but it definitely falls and struggles more than the rest. I don't believe it is a niacin problem, mYbe an injury or birth defect. Any suggestions? It's the one on the right obviously lol.

Attachments

• 20230604_173022.jpg
    20230604_173022.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 691
Evidently your one duckling isn't getting enough niacin even if the feed is it is adequate. We see this quite often. To treat you will need Liquid B complex give 1 ml over a tasty treat daily. Don't put this into their water it dilutes it too much and you want the duckling to get the full 1 ml dose.
here is the info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
This should be started asap before the duckling is permanently lame.
What feed are you using?

Evidently your one duckling isn't getting enough niacin even if the feed is it is adequate. We see this quite often. To treat you will need Liquid B complex give 1 ml over a tasty treat daily. Don't put this into their water it dilutes it too much and you want the duckling to get the full 1 ml dose.
here is the info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
What feed are you using?
Thank you so much for reply! I use purina flock raiser crumbles as well as peas daily as a treat. I did find a similar thread that gave me this info after I posted and I was trying to figure out how to delete it. I guess I could have updated it instead. I will be getting this tomorrow and starting it. This page has been a godsend with being a new duck mom and I really appreciate all of the amazing people on here. I've noticed from the posts I've found that this seems to happen a lot to pekins. I was so worried that I couldn't fix it and now I'm so relieved! Thanks again for all of the help! And here are more pics of the duckers!

Attachments

• 20230604_121312.jpg
    20230604_121312.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230604_122208.jpg
    20230604_122208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230604_122213.jpg
    20230604_122213.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 13
I used Flock Raiser for many years and my flock thrived on it. But even if it says it has the adequate amount of niacin some ducklings just need more help and your right Pekins seem to show niacin deficiency much more than other breeds. They just grow too fast.

Beautiful babies :love

Keep us updated!!

I have 13 ducklings 3 are around 4.5 weeks old and 10 are around 4 weeks. All but one are fine. The one pekin 4 weeks old is bow legged and extremely pigion toed. I have tried adding niacin to its diet but the flock feed I use has enough niacin in it. The bigger it gets the worse it gets. It gets around ok but it definitely falls and struggles more than the rest. I don't believe it is a niacin problem, mYbe an injury or birth defect. Any suggestions? It's the one on the right obviously lol.
You got some good advice
Hopefully you can get this turned around

What feed are you using?
Is this the right stuff? It says injectable so I want to be sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606_110818_Tractor Supply.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_110818_Tractor Supply.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom