1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Box of Oranges

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DawnSuiter, Dec 9, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have a few pounds of nice juicy juicing oranges... besides juice... what would you do with them. We don't really eat oranges very much or drink a lot of orange juice but we DO love the flavor.

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I would get as much of the zest off as I could and freeze it!! I LOVE adding bits of orange zest to different foods [​IMG] Smells sooooo good too!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you have a canner, how about orange marmalade? It's a great gift!

4. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    I would take a couple of them, stick whole cloves in the all over the rind, use straight pins to pin ribbons to them and hang them about for the wonderful holiday scent the oranges and cloves will provide! Marmalade for the rest sounds good!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Make a cake with orange sauce - perfect for the holiday season!

6. DawnSuiter

OMG.. these are such great ideas.. YOU PEOPLE ARE BRILLIANT!

While I was gone I came up with the idea of an orange cake... white cake mix, juice instead of water, whole eggs instead of just whites...

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Simmer with sugar and a tiny bit of water the pulp (not skins) of 2 oranges and the zest along with one apple (pectin) until you get a syrup. Spoont he syrup over the layers of cake until it is absorbed and doesn't pool on the cake plate.

Mmmm, cake with orange sauce. Decorate it with candied cherries.

8. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    MissPrissy..mmmm..my Mom used to make a cake very much like this at Christmas..it was wonderful!!

9. DawnSuiter

I should also add some to my home made house cleaners.. that'll be a nice change too.

Sounds lovely Miss P

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by