Pickling jars and juice?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I was heard someone saying once that they took the old jar and old pickling juice from a store bought pickle jar and re-used it. By this I do NOT mean a mason jar with homemade pickling juice in it. I mean they took like a dill pickle commercially made pickle jar with the juice in, and then they stuck new cucumber slices in the same jar. They re-used the same juice and kept it to make new pickles. And supposedly it turned out fine and safe. And works.

I wondered if others have done this? And how long is it safe to re-use that same old pickle juice in that jar? That was my main concern, is how long is it not too long to re-use that juice for? If you are like us we don't open a jar of pickles right away from the store. I might buy 2 or 3 jars. Then use one with the others as reserves in the pantry for 4 to 6 months before opening them. And that works fine. But it means that its already a bit older before I'd even be re-using that old pickle juice... so I think i should get a few opinions on this.

Thank you.

I haven’t put cukes in the juice but we do pickle eggs, only enough to eat in a short period of time though, and then I discard the juice. I imagine cukes would be fine, but I wouldn’t make more than we would use in couple weeks or so. Once the original pickles have been canned they soak up some of that brine and I imagine the ratio of salt and vinegar and such wouldn’t be quite right for long term storage, even in the fridge.

If you try if I would say don’t use the juice more than once and make small batches.

I haven’t put cukes in the juice but we do pickle eggs, only enough to eat in a short period of time though, and then I discard the juice. I imagine cukes would be fine, but I wouldn’t make more than we would use in couple weeks or so. Once the original pickles have been canned they soak up some of that brine and I imagine the ratio of salt and vinegar and such wouldn’t be quite right for long term storage, even in the fridge.

If you try if I would say don’t use the juice more than once and make small batches.
Thank you for the reply.

I agree it probably would have the salt and vinegar ratios disturbed a bit over time.

Back
Top Bottom