Quail Water base and Quart jars

CliftonQuail

Songster
Feb 2, 2023
Central Texas
I use the Harris Farms Screw-On Quail Base for Quart Jar from Tractor Supply with mason jars.
www.tractorsupply.com\tsc\product\harris-farms-screw-on-quail-base-for-quart-jar

However, I have some jars that they don't work with. The base will screw all the way onto the jar to the point that it creates a seal and water won't flow. If I try to loosen the base, the weight of the water still forces the jar all the way into the base and seals the water flow. I have other jars that work just fine. The ring around the neck of the jar is apparently just thick enough to provide a stopping point for the base and it doesn't screw any further. I've tried jars from Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest, but they all seem to have the same issue with newer jars.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to resolve it? As it stands, I only have two jars that work with the bases and I have both of them in continuous use. I'd really like to be able to give them a run through the dishwasher every once in a while, but don't have a better option for watering the quail while I do that. I tried using some rubber bands as a stopper, but that didn't work. Maybe I can get some bigger bands and try again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
That link directed me to a spam site, pepperjack.....com or something. So I did a google search for it instead, and found the correct link - just a heads up for everyone.
Anyway, I haven't had the issue you describe, but I'm familiar with those bases. After what you've tried, the next thing I'd try maybe is to carve a tiny divot or slot at the bottom of the slot where the water flows, so that when you screw the jar all the way down, it still has a teeny gap. Should do the trick.

That link directed me to a spam site, pepperjack.....com or something. So I did a google search for it instead, and found the correct link - just a heads up for everyone.
Anyway, I haven't had the issue you describe, but I'm familiar with those bases. After what you've tried, the next thing I'd try maybe is to carve a tiny divot or slot at the bottom of the slot where the water flows, so that when you screw the jar all the way down, it still has a teeny gap. Should do the trick.
Interesting. When I clicked the link, it went to Tractor Supply, but has added information about a pepperjam affiliate. I suspect that was added when I posted the comment because it wasn't in the original link. I edited it so it's no longer an active link. Should be able to select it then right click and open in new tab.
I'm not sure if the plastic is thick enough to carve a divot. I do have several extras, so I may try that with one. The trick will be getting it screwed back on so the divot lines up with the outlet every time.

I've noticed that the bigger waterers by Little Giant or Miller Mfg. like this one,
1706563334928.png

are NOW made with a taller lip on the base, which eliminates the same problem. I used to have to use a level to make SURE they were situated perfectly level, or they would leak. I've since replaced them, and the new design is working perfectly fine.

Anyway .....
I'm not sure if the plastic is thick enough to carve a divot. I do have several extras, so I may try that with one. The trick will be getting it screwed back on so the divot lines up with the outlet every time.
I don't understand. Is your waterer base like this one?
1706564099720.png

In this one, the jar doesn't have to line up with anything, just get it on tight enough. It's supposed to leave a gap below the lip of the jar that's big enough for water to get out and air to get in. I was suggesting that you cut a small divot, or even just slice a little off the bottom of the slot in the plastic base.

Or am I not understanding? If so, please post a photo of what you've got.

I've noticed that the bigger waterers by Little Giant or Miller Mfg. like this one,
View attachment 3736518
are NOW made with a taller lip on the base, which eliminates the same problem. I used to have to use a level to make SURE they were situated perfectly level, or they would leak. I've since replaced them, and the new design is working perfectly fine.

Anyway .....

I don't understand. Is your waterer base like this one?
View attachment 3736523
In this one, the jar doesn't have to line up with anything, just get it on tight enough. It's supposed to leave a gap below the lip of the jar that's big enough for water to get out and air to get in. I was suggesting that you cut a small divot, or even just slice a little off the bottom of the slot in the plastic base.

Or am I not understanding? If so, please post a photo of what you've got.
That's the waterer base that I have. The issue is that it will screw all the way onto most of the mason jars I have to the point where the glass lip of the jar hits the bottom of the base and creates a seal. I have two jars that have a ring just under the threaded portion of the glass that is wide enough to prevent the base from screwing any further, but every other regular mouth jar I have will bottom out in the base and seal.

Regular edit.jpg

I see now, thank you. How about this: try cutting a circle of plastic, like from a butter lid, to fit tightly inside the base, but leave a couple of tabs to extend through the slot. And cut between those tabs a little so the jar won't seal in that one spot. Like this:
20240130_083449.jpg

It will stop the jar from screwing all the way down, but still sealed except at that slot. Worth a try, maybe. Nothing lost but a butter lid if it doesn't work, and removable for cleaning if it does.

Last edited:
I see now, thank you. How about this: try cutting a circle of plastic, like from a butter lid, to fit tightly inside the base, but leave a couple of tabs to extend through the slot. And cut between those tabs a little so the jar won't seal in that one spot. Like this:
View attachment 3736913
It will stop the jar from screwing all the way down, but still sealed except at that slot. Worth a try, maybe. Nothing lost but a butter lid if it doesn't work, and removable for cleaning if it does.
Nice idea. I'll give it a shot if I can find something suitable. I don't use butter tubs, but maybe I can come up with something else. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom