Box vs. Round brooders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckylisa, Mar 11, 2009.

1. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    I'm getting my brooder ready (it's never too early, right?) and I plan to use a big cardboard box. It's heavy-duty cardboard and is about 3'w x 3'l x 18" deep. I figure this will work for a couple weeks until my 6 chicks get too big for it. My big concern is if I need to worry about a chick getting crushed by the other chicks into a corner. Has anyone had this problem? Should I round out the corners to prevent this?

As long as the heat lamp is in the middle and I monitor the temp carefully I'm hoping the box will work. Otherwise I have a giant Rubbermaid tub and a large dog kennel to use. Both have slightly rounded corners.

Thanks!

2. DK

DK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Bangor Alabama
    My brooder has sguare corner and had a lot more than 6 chick at a time in it with no problem.3 x 3 will give them alot of room to move around I think it will be fine. DK

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I think it should be fine, if the temp is right for them they won't pile up anyway. Keep an eye on them for a day or two and good luck:D

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I used a 4x4' wooden packing crate to brood my babies and put 36 chicks in it - they liked to do the chick pile every time they slept, but no one got smothered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by