Boxes for storing canning jars

Back to the drawing board.
I went for the sheet of plywood or osb.... and came back with this:

Attachments

• 158A81D1-D807-48CD-AC97-8291E5974A1F.jpeg
    158A81D1-D807-48CD-AC97-8291E5974A1F.jpeg
    616.6 KB · Views: 18
Yep, all of it purple tagged.

I might still go back for the plywood, though. On the way home, I started thinking about shelves in the garage - if I park the lawn mower under a platform then I can put the wagon and spreader above it. Or I could raise the washer and dryer in the basement. Or get storage boxes in the basement off the floor. Or the steps to the haymow in the barn could use strengthening.

Progress has been made.
I forgot to take a before picture before we took the first two posts down to the basement. They are just leaning there in the first picture.

Second picture is my plans.
Third picture is DH's plans (lol, yes, really)

Neither is particularly close to what we are actually doing.

Fourth picture is how far we got today.

We expect the rest to go much faster because the rest is just measuring, cutting, and attaching. The time consuming part was deciding what to do and how to do it.

Attachments

• 02A50292-6911-4B7E-A33E-4F9F72E8E165.jpeg
    02A50292-6911-4B7E-A33E-4F9F72E8E165.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 10
  • D28F2097-10EB-49D0-ABA9-34DD82D594E6.jpeg
    D28F2097-10EB-49D0-ABA9-34DD82D594E6.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 4B95A868-473D-454C-B1FA-850B5F04B81F.jpeg
    4B95A868-473D-454C-B1FA-850B5F04B81F.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 68AB90C4-BF40-450B-B8C5-7611F29A9F60.jpeg
    68AB90C4-BF40-450B-B8C5-7611F29A9F60.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Progress has been made.
I forgot to take a before picture before we took the first two posts down.
Those look like support posts. Were they redundant before you took them down? Please assure me they weren't doing anything useful, like holding up the house or anything like that.

I'm glad to see you're on a roll now with your project! I'll be following to see what you come up with. I just finished my shelf project over the freezers, and will someday soon start thinking about shelving systems in the basement.

Let us know how it's progressing!

I edited to clearify... took them down to the basement. 🙂

Now they are screwed to the sides of the floor joists above each of them. They end a few inches below the floor (the floor of living area above, so ceiling, I guess but it isn't "ceiled" so... whatever it should be called) because it is easier to place them and no reason to go higher. It isn't really necessary to attach them there but the 2x4's happened to be ten feet long so we had to cut them anyway. We would have bought 6' or 8' if we weren't using up what is on hand. It does make it very stable early on which will make the next steps easier.

Last edited:
Lol. Actually, if we hadn't had these 2x4s, we still wouldn't have bought anything for this part. We would have used the 4x4's we pulled out of ground last year from a fence the people who lived here before didn't maintain. Way, way, way overkill but it would get them out of our way in the garage.

We are stalled.

Dh won't build anything chintzy. I don't want to give up as much vertical space as he thinks is needed for horizontal support beams. He won't look at the sagolator.

He offered smaller horizontal support beams if we put more posts in. If we do that the way he is thinking (more posts like the already installed center post), the horizontal space gets chopped up. We would essentially have a series of 16" wide sets of shelves. And he still wants horizontal beams.

If we do it the way I am thinking (interior posts), we either have to measure unrealistically accurately for our woodworking tools/equipment or else slide them in as needed.

I want to slide them in as needed. He can't see that working.

A third alternative for more posts is to make them face board style. The posts would be in the way but at least the space behind the posts would not have divisions. He would give up his preference for nothing sticking out, ie matching the other posts. I would give up my preference for being able to slide the plywood in and out as needed to have more shelves. Then I can let him build four shelves with horizontal beams across the front and when he is done, I can add two more without front beams.

Or we could buy thicker plywood. Cost.

Or we could use stronger wood for the beams. Cost. Or I can try to find a suitable sapling in my woods. I like a rustic look. He doesn't. We don't have the tools to make that way not look rustic.

I canned 18 more jars of applesauce yesterday. Sigh.

Maybe I will try to make a better model of what I mean by the sliding supports.

Back
Top Bottom