Boy, girl, or too early ? ...picture heavy... updated 7-1/2 weeks

fused1013

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Southeast MI
I posted this on another thread and was informed this may get more hits. I just have a gut feeling my "pullet" Tiggy (winkle) is not a pullet. She/he is feathering slower than the others,the coloring in the feathers is getting brighter and splotchier and the tail is different.

I managed to get a few still shots of the comb. My gut tells me she's a he. This was taken at 4-1/2 weeks

I got several more today

Here's a link to the original post (with video)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/720249/what-sex-are-these-easter-eggers/30#post_11994253

We are now a bit over 7-1/2 weeks. I just got them in the coop Weds.

other side, the chest feathers are getting black in them now and the reddish color is getting brighter

with the others
everyone else has a yellow(ish) comb. Tiggy's is bright pink (and seems to be getting brighter)

front

front

under the hen house, the tail feathers got some skinny little tips on them that are curling downwards

Last edited:
I'd wait it out and post better photos in a few weeks.

The 4 1/2 week old photo comb didn't look big or red to me...so it would be the feather patterning to determine sex.

The patterning could be roo as blotchy coloring usually means that....BUT....it may change coloring quite a bit over the next few weeks.

I have what I am sure is a pullet now go through so many feather patterns...from chipmunk to classic EE gold head partridge look...to worrisome reddish feathers on shoulders...to the red patterning evening out over the rest of the back...to now grey creeping in to where it is a pretty hen pattern and other evidence clearly shows it to be a hen. The point is, from day to day I never knew what that bird's feather pattern was going to look like!

I just kept watching its comb. It got yellow pink early, but it stayed small and flush to the head.

I'm not the best with pea combs (I've got mostly straight or rose in my flock) but supposedly 3 clear pea rows means roo...but I've read that it can mean a hen too sometimes...but it is usually a hen if it has only 1 distinct pea row.

Google some EE roo photos on BYC to compare the comb shape and color at various ages....then wait and watch the final pattern on your bird.

Good luck,
Lady of McCamley

The comb looks rather red and large, but she could just be an early maturing pullet. The coloring is a little blotchy, which as Lady of McCamley said, could indicate rooster. For now, I'm going to say cockerel, but post some more photos in a few weeks.

Quote:
They'll be 6 weeks on Tuesday. The lighting was definitely not in my favor yesterday. That one is one of the bolder ones, really nosy and first in line for everything. She/he is also the only one that chirps and the comb is a bit pinker than the others. I'll try to get some better pics on here.

Quote: I know! It's crazy that way. I have literally sat there and watched them open up their feathers while preening and the coloring changes.

I'm not going to be really upset if she's a he. I ordered 5 instead of 3 for that reason and just in case 1 didn't make it. I also have an acquaintance that will take her if she's a him (and not for meat).
My biggest concern is if she is a he and starts crowing and upsetting the neighbors.

The comb looks rather red and large, but she could just be an early maturing pullet. The coloring is a little blotchy, which as Lady of McCamley said, could indicate rooster. For now, I'm going to say cockerel, but post some more photos in a few weeks.

X2

Back
Top Bottom