11 week old easter egger guess gender

lupin27

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
Hi there BYC community, 3 weeks ago I bought 2 chickens from a private seller who said they were 8 weeks old and pullets. She advised they could be a mix of Barred Rock, Leghorn, Easter Egger and Ameracauna. Pullet 1 is named Sage and pullet 2 is Violet. A week ago, Sage weighed 135 grams more than Violet. She’s a little friendlier too. Her tail feathers are kind of curved but they are still growing in and some look straighter. I see no pointy saddle feathers or hackle feathers on either of them. Their combs are pale and haven’t changed in size or color since I bought them. Sage and Violet both look similar but I wonder if they had different parents because of the size difference or could it mean maybe they’re not quite the same age or that she might be a cockerel? I’m pretty sure they’re both pullets but would really appreciate your input. Thank you!

Attachments

• sage3.jpg
    sage3.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 77
  • sageviolet1.jpg
    sageviolet1.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 38
  • violet3.jpg
    violet3.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 34
  • violet2.jpg
    violet2.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 33
  • violet1.jpg
    violet1.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 33
  • sagecloseup1.jpg
    sagecloseup1.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 31
  • sage1.jpg
    sage1.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 35
  • sage2.jpg
    sage2.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 37
I figured I would update incase anyone else might have "easter egger" pullets with odd tail feathers. Sage (1#) laid her first egg a week ago. A cute little beige egg! I thought she was going to lay a green or blue egg but I'm just happy she turned out to be a pullet! Her comb and wattles grew exponentially as soon as she started laying; It was pretty surprising. Her pointy tail feathers dropped out and she now has pretty hen tail feathers. Violet (#2) hasn't laid yet but is definitely a pullet. She's a little more than half the size of Sage and they are both 28 weeks old now so I don't think she will get much bigger. Hoping for a green or blue egg! I'm going to attach some pictures below of Sage and her egg and her strange tail feathers before she shed them.

Sage and her weird tail feathers, around16-18 weeks old
sagetailfeathersabout1618weeks.jpg
sailtailfeathers1618weeks2.jpg

Sage at 23-24 weeks
sageoct1.jpg

Her first egg, beside a store bought egg.
sagefirst egg.jpg

Sage now at 28 weeks
sagefront2.jpg
sagerecentfullbody1.jpg

sagefront1.jpg

I figured I would update incase anyone else might have "easter egger" pullets with odd tail feathers. Sage (1#) laid her first egg a week ago. A cute little beige egg! I thought she was going to lay a green or blue egg but I'm just happy she turned out to be a pullet! Her comb and wattles grew exponentially as soon as she started laying; It was pretty surprising. Her pointy tail feathers dropped out and she now has pretty hen tail feathers. Violet (#2) hasn't laid yet but is definitely a pullet. She's a little more than half the size of Sage and they are both 28 weeks old now so I don't think she will get much bigger. Hoping for a green or blue egg! I'm going to attach some pictures below of Sage and her egg and her strange tail feathers before she shed them.

View attachment 3681361View attachment 3681362

Sage at 23-24 weeks
View attachment 3681360

Her first egg, beside a store bought egg.
View attachment 3681357

Sage now at 28 weeks View attachment 3681351View attachment 3681352
View attachment 3681350
They looks great. Glad you got pullets.

All of them are pullets!

Easter Eggers are very prone to developing odd-looking tail feathers, even ones that look like sickle feathers on a pullet (which can not actually happen unless they have hormone issues, which is rare). The tail feathers that may look like sickles are the feathers in development that you cannot see later on unless you pull them back; they get covered up by a second layer.

Back
Top Bottom