Boys or girls?

HouseDuckarian

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2019
Is this two roos and a hen? Just doubkenchecking myself.

5 week old frizzle cochins!

Sorry the pics kinda suck, they were being spazzy lol

Attachments

• 20190904_163112.jpg
    20190904_163112.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190904_163114.jpg
    20190904_163114.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190904_163116.jpg
    20190904_163116.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 14
Yes, you have two cockerels and a pullet. They won't be roosters or hen until their a year old.
And yes, you shouldn't breed a frizzle cockerel to a frizzle pullet. Besides the semi-lethal (which I hadn't heard) you will have birds with very fragile feather that don't feather in completely. The poor things will be half naked with broken feathers all the time.

I'd figure out if you want to sell both cockerels and replace with a smooth cockerel, or replace the pullet.... If you want to breed.

Yes, you have two cockerels and a pullet. They won't be roosters or hen until their a year old.
And yes, you shouldn't breed a frizzle cockerel to a frizzle pullet. Besides the semi-lethal (which I hadn't heard) you will have birds with very fragile feather that don't feather in completely. The poor things will be half naked with broken feathers all the time.

I'd figure out if you want to sell both cockerels and replace with a smooth cockerel, or replace the pullet.... If you want to breed.

Thank you for this...this is exactly what i am currently trying to decide. And thank you for explaining the difference in roo/hen cockerel/pulle . I am fairly new to chickens. I hatched out two smooths but lost my tiny one yesterday. I want the frizzle in my gene pool for sure! I am just not sure if i want to keep the pullet or one of the boys. Its going to take a minute to understand the genetics part of this process. I plan on my bantam birds focusing on polish, cochin, and silkies. I am way open to opinions from those more experienced than I to weigh in on which you would keep to have the Frizzle in your flock.

The frizzles I've seen have been bantam Cochins, and they were adorable! Because this is all new to you, start with only one project breeding group, not three or four. It's supposed to be fun, and not make you crazy!
Mary

The frizzles I've seen have been bantam Cochins, and they were adorable! Because this is all new to you, start with only one project breeding group, not three or four. It's supposed to be fun, and not make you crazy!
Mary
I am starting slowly, all mine are babi3s still. I have a very small mixture of things at the moment as i learn, i am just a planner and informational by nature, so the more info the better!!!! Nothing ready for breeding until sometime next year.

Back
Top Bottom