BPA-free waterers?

scrappychick11

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Manassas, VA
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as BPA-free plastic waterers for chickens? I was thinking that if BPA is bad for people, it's probably bad for chickens too. Any ideas would be appreciated.

i was worried about the same thing so i just went with metal waterers. bpa is specific to certain types of plastic, so you'd just have to find out what plastics don't have it and then find waterers that use those safe plastics. i'm sure they are available if you do the research (i wasn't patient enough).

I thought about using the metal containers, too, but I read a couple of books that recommended adding a small amount of apple cider vinegar to the water. Unfortunately, the vinegar reacts with the metal, so I have to use plastic if I want to add the vinegar. I'll do more research on the plastic and post anything significant that I find...

bpa is also used to line cans and some stainless steel water containers for humans (they're tricky with that stuff!)

so if it's metal you might want to find out if it has been lined... they do this to prevent rust i guess.

i'd like to know too because i don't drink out of or use plastic myself if possible!

Use galvanized steel waterers and for food storage (mice and squirrels can't chew through them). The apple cider vinegar is not necessary and only recommended for flocks with little space to lower the PH of the crop to help slow cocci. If you allow to free range outside early then you don't have to worry about the vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom