BR bully

Bhubbard

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
Sunbury Ohio
i believe one of my barred rocks is not allowing some of the smaller pullets in at night. 5 of the 10 newbies have started roosting in nearby large bush at night. I go out and set them on the roosting bars. Plenty of space to roost at night more of an issue getting into the automatic door before it closes. I do have a second manual door I could open and go out and close each night. Suggestions? 11 hens.. 5 buff Orpington, 3 Wyandotte, 3 barred rocks, 1 silkie rooster, 11 week old pullets are 4 RIR, 2 light Brahma, 4 Delaware. Thanks for any helpful info. I have watched her hang out on the coop floor and chase them as they try to come in as well.

Lots of roost options at different heights ranging from 12 inches off ground to 7 ft. Coop is 8x8 but only roost/lay in it. They free range on 5 acres during day. Half of them are roosting fine and besides hens which are 2 years old. Pullets are 10 weeks been in coop since 4 weeks and been allowed contact for 4 weeks. Had them fenced in coop for 2 weeks. Was thinking to just using manual door for a bit until pecking order shakes out. No issues with injury or anything just one bully hanging out not liking the littles coming in at night.

That's normal. It will take some time before they stop doing that. My young ones will get chased out for quite a while. Generally by the time they start to lay it mostly stops. Older birds are seeing the younger ones maturing and they want to point out where in the pecking order they belong.

Just make sure they are rounded up if necessary for a while. It always calms down eventually as long as you have enough room for everyone.

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure nothing else I can do. I am all for letting them work it all. I let It get almost dark when automatic door closes and then go out and put the littles in.

Wanted to update for future issues for other people I left the old manual door open tonight and closed after dark like the old days before my solar door. All chickens were in and roosting! Will continue to for until they get closer age.

Back
Top Bottom