BR Gender

caspernc

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Z town NC
I have 31, eight weekish BR's. I just knew I would loose some. WELL not yet. But if you drink the water on this farm, the vet will have to put you down at 105 years old! Anyway, if the roo's are lighter in color and the pullets are darker I may have 2, maybe 3 roo's and the rest HAVE to be pullets. Are the baby roo's nicer? The two that are the nicest are very light compared the rest. One is slightly smaller than the other but both are very much lighter. They both are the first to sit in my lap. Most of the others will come and talk to me, get in my lap for a minute. The very darkest are the spookier ones. If I do get my hands on one of the almost black ones they will squack and kick up a fuss for awhile untill they just submit. The hatchery said they were only 95% accurate on sexxing so I did want a roo and thought I would get one. If these light colored ones are the roo's I'm VERY happy they are so sweet. Whats my chances, if they are roo's, that they will stay this nice?
OR Are the darker one even BR's. Will try to upload a pic.

Last edited:
I love them, my favorite breed. Have had several BR roosters and still have a crippled one, my Zane. Lighter in color is usually male and by 8 weeks old, the males should have nice pink combs, too.

BRs are sexable at hatch, so for future reference:

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

This link is good for Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans and Dominiques and has very good photos.

Here is a 6 week old brother and sister:

DCP_7425.jpg

Chances are if they are sweet now and you continue to handle them they will stay friendly! Good numbers though if you only have three you may get away with keeping all of them since you have plenty of gals for each!

Back
Top Bottom