BR hen laying wimpy eggs

fargosmom

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Pasadena, CA
My BR hen is almost 2 years old, and has been laying consistently for the last year or so. Her eggs were fine and normal until a few months ago. It took me a while to realize there was a problem because I wasn't finding them for a while. Her shells have become very pale and thin, the whites are very watery and the yolks are very weak (although they look fine color- and shape-wise). I wasn't finding them because she's started laying them off the roost early in the morning, and since they break so easily they're getting eaten right away. Then there are days when she lays later, and she has time to get into the nest box so I find those eggs. I think she's laying about every other day right now (hard to tell since I know I'm not finding them all).

She seems otherwise healthy - she bullies the two EE hens, eats all the best stuff, gets layer pellets and oyster shell and free-ranges occasionally.
She hasn't really been molting, although I find a feather here and there, but since she hasn't stopped laying I figure she's not molting? She hasn't experienced any trauma I can think of, and the other two girls have been laying normally (well, except that one is molting . . . but their egg quality has been find otherwise).
I see no signs of worms or mites (if they were there all three would be suffering, right?)
Since she seems normal and happy I'm not too worried, but if it turns out to be something contagious I'd hate for the other two to get it.
Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom