1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BR pullets pecking at our feet! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flockof5, Aug 28, 2008.

1. flockof5

flockof5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    I have small children. My 3 BR pullets (about 18 weeks) are getting too aggressive in their search for a treat. Any tips?

They come running every time we step out the back door, expecting a treat. They start pecking at our toes and today they jumped up and knocked a small toy out of my 3 year old's hand today. It kind of scared me. I need them to be nice.

Our 2 RIR's (one month older) don't do this. They will even let us pet them. The BR run away if we try to pet them. They just aren't as friendly. Is that just the breed? Anything we can do to fix it?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This may sound retarded, but having a rabbit in the coop has made all the hens mellower. Even the shiest chicken now coms out and around the others. And the rooster thinks she is his chicken. Comedy. When we first brought them home the chickens all ran at us, now they dont. Only ben five days too.

3. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    mine were like that for a while so we stoped giving treats for a couple of weeks now they only peck at my toes after i paint them and its a soft exploritory nibble then they woddle away

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can't get my chickens to come near me. WAAAAAA:(

5. flockof5

flockof5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    debiray, we always want what we don't have, don't we? LOL! My BR won't stay if we try to pet them. They just want food! The RIR are much nicer when we pet them.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have 5 BRs who would be delighted to sit in our laps and be petted all day long! They get less friendly when we don't give them so much attention, but it's not but a few minutes extra and they're back to being sweet cuddly birds. They even let my daughters hug and squeeze them!

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My BR pullets don't like to be petted much, but they do peck at my legs and toes. They definitely don't like being ignored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by