BR rooster culling age?

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, so sorry if it isn't.

I got my first chicks ever 7 1/2 weeks ago. I was *supposed* to have 5 pullets and 1 cockerel. I ended up with 4 cockerels and 2 pullets.

Since I only intended to have one rooster, three of them are destined for the table. I'm pretty sure I know which cockerel I'm keeping...but if he shows any significant signs of aggression towards me, he's dinner and I'll keep which ever one is nicest towards me.

I was hoping someone could tell me at what age do you cull a cockerel? I figure it's still to early at only 2 months old, but I'd like to know so I can be prepared. Thank you!

I'm glad you got all girls...I wasn't that lucky. I have 6 more barred rock babies (3 weeks old) that I picked out myself by feather sexing, so I'm hoping I get lucky.

Cull means to remove from the flock, not neccessarily kill. What you're really wondering is what age at which to butcher or kill. The answer to that question is whenever the bird has reached the weight & development you're looking for in a butchered bird.

The age I do in roosters is when I can't stand them anymore. I can't have crowing because roosters are illegal where I am, so crowing puts them on the bus to freezer camp. Rude behavior. Bugging the other chickens. Just having too many birds, period. The garden is looking kind of bald because they are eating everything in sight. You get the picture.

I butchered 2 barred Rock boys at 18 weeks old and they were a little tough but I'm also used to butter soft CornishX meat.
If you cook them slow and low, you shouldn't have problem. I made beer can chickens with them but I should have just thrown them in the dutch oven :/ oh well.

Cull means to remove from the flock, not neccessarily kill. What you're really wondering is what age at which to butcher or kill. The answer to that question is whenever the bird has reached the weight & development you're looking for in a butchered bird.
Actually, to cull means both...either to remove from the flock or to kill. Used in my post, it's obvious I meant the "kill" form of the word "cull"
wink.png

Quote:
Not to depress you or anything, but I got 12 chicks ''pullets'' by feather sexing, and I now have 5 roosters... Just warning you...
I know it''s not the right way to sex BR's...and I know there's a chance I'll end up with the exact opposite of what I want. But the standard sexing tips don't work anymore when it comes to hatchery chicks in my opinion. My first set of chicks are the perfect example. They were picked based on the leg wash. 5 of the 6 had dark leg wash. Also, the spots on their heads didn't hold true to form, either. Some of my boys had defined spots, some didn't as day old chicks. And only one of them was lighter in color...the rest had very dark fuzz. Anyway,I figured why not? Can't win the traditional way, why not take a chance?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom