BR Rooster with red scabbed legs and frayed feathers (picture inc. ) LICE? MITES? help!!

what does the cat food do( just asking cause i have no clue)? My chickens already have free access to layer feed mixed with corn and wheat as well as oyster shell.
...I just went an doused them all with the dri-kill and worked it in good in their feathers especially on their backs, under their wings and by their vent. When i was doing that i noticed one of the hens had a rather bare bottom and saw some kind of little mite crawling .. will the dri-kill get rid of those?
I also sprinkled it lightly on their roosts, nest boxes and shavings. Tomo i am going to replace the shavings in their pen.

I would also give them a distraction to keep them from being bored if that is part of the problem. Flock Blocks are great, Tractor Supply has them. Also you could get a couple heads of lettuce and hang them inside the pen. That should give them something to do with their beaks that doesn't include bodily harm to their flockmates.

The cat food has high protein levels in it. You could just buy some Grower feed and mix it with the layer to raise the level of protein.

Chickens' feathers consist of mostly protein so poor feather condition might be an indicator of too low of protein intake.

Something that may help with the pecking is reducing the number in the pen. 10sq ft per bird is standard for breeding pen/runs. You currently have about 7 or less sq ft per bird.

@ Aoxa, could her roo be a HQ BR? Barring is not as good as Heritage Breed BR.

The cat food has high protein levels in it. You could just buy some Grower feed and mix it with the layer to raise the level of protein.

Chickens' feathers consist of mostly protein so poor feather condition might be an indicator of too low of protein intake.
OK thanks, good to know. I think their feathers are looking crappy mostly to do with the pecking. I just hope they will stop.I never had a problem with them at all when there was 2 roosters in there. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything

what does the cat food do( just asking cause i have no clue)? My chickens already have free access to layer feed mixed with corn and wheat as well as oyster shell.
...I just went an doused them all with the dri-kill and worked it in good in their feathers especially on their backs, under their wings and by their vent. When i was doing that i noticed one of the hens had a rather bare bottom and saw some kind of little mite crawling .. will the dri-kill get rid of those?
I also sprinkled it lightly on their roosts, nest boxes and shavings. Tomo i am going to replace the shavings in their pen.

Sounds like you have mites. The Dri Kill should kill them, but be sure to treat them again in a week, so you can kill any newly hatched mites. I provide a dust bathing box for my girls and put DE in it for extra protection from mites. Its a lot less likely you will have a mite problem if your chickens have the ability to dust bathe.

Back
Top Bottom