BR 's behaved badly towards my americana

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naakte, Sep 15, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I put my americana in the bard rock pen so henry could fertilize her eggs. , but i guess they didnt like her too much. i heard a commotion and went out to investigate, The poor lil thing was hunkered down taking a beating by most of the bard rocks (10 in the pen). I ran for the pen and was pulling the BR off of her OMG I am trying not to cry just recalling this. she remained hunkered down and lwt me pick her up. I took her inside and cleaned the blood off her poor little nose and dabbed it with blu cote, and kept telling her i was sorry. Of course i put her back with the white leg horns and i watched for a few minutes to make sure they didnt beat the snot out of her, but they didnt. I really do want to fertilize her eggs..... what if I put Henry in the white leg horn pen. or put her and Henry in a seperate pen. what would be best. I am scared to do anything further without some advise after what she went thru. It was very disturbing

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Next time, take the rooster to the pen where she is at. By putting her into the BR pen, you made her a newbie, and it's pretty normal for the others to attack a new hen, because chickens are so territorial.

Take care and don't beat yourself up about it.....It's all a learning experience.....

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by