Pecking order and a one Buff getting picked on badly

jpilk99

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
We had two groups of chickens: 17 "regular" chickens, (a mix of Buffs, Legs, Buttercups, Americanas, Lavender Orps and a Bard Rock) as well as 3 Bantams. No roosters. They each live in their respective coops with ample runs that are 100% covered/enclosed to keep predators out.

Over the last few weeks, one of the lovely Buff Orpingtons has been the target of a number of other chickens. It's gotten pretty bad to the extent that they'll pin her down and really peck at her. I don't understand why - but I guess that's why I'm a human and they're chickens. I don't believe she has any maladies (I've heard they can sense when one of the flock is sick or dying, and they move to extinguish said bird so disease won't spread). Fearing they would kill this Buff, my daughter and I snatched her up and re-homed her 15 feet away in with the Bantams. So far so good.

But is this a bad move? Are we disrupting "mother nature" and how chickens live? We assumed the Buff would be happier not running for her life all the time and now won't be picked on. She doesn't seem to be aggressive towards the Bantams of vise verse.

Curious what others would do or suggest. Thank you.

Jay

So many times when people come on here with a like problem, they really don't want to make any changes to their set up and flock, they just want a magic word to make everyone be nice. Animal husbandry is keeping animals in an optimum life situation.

When an issue pops up like this, the owner HAS TO CHANGE SOMETHING. Remove a bird, add space, separate groups, SOMETHING.

So I think you did well. Now if you could just get me up and out the door to deal with the two broody hens that I am pretty sure are down at the coop. Decisions, decisions.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

After removing the bullied hen, watch the flock closely to catch early if and when they seek out another one to gang up against and try to find out who would be the initiator.

How many Buff Orpingtons are left?
Good call. I think, after one of most tenured chickens, 10 year old Ingrid, died about 2 months ago - that shook up the pecking order. Weird that it seems like one of the Buffs (we have 3 total) was the lead thug.

So many times when people come on here with a like problem, they really don't want to make any changes to their set up and flock, they just want a magic word to make everyone be nice. Animal husbandry is keeping animals in an optimum life situation.

When an issue pops up like this, the owner HAS TO CHANGE SOMETHING. Remove a bird, add space, separate groups, SOMETHING.

So I think you did well. Now if you could just get me up and out the door to deal with the two broody hens that I am pretty sure are down at the coop. Decisions, decisions.

Always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K
Good luck with the brooders. I think if we let them out more to free range, they might mellow out a bit. ? Being in a 35’ x 25’ run likely gets them edgy.

Back
Top Bottom