BR sex guesses at 5 weeks

Husker Hens

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Nebraska (Panhandle)
My Coop
My Coop
Brand new to chickens and I've been trying to read everyone's barred rock posts but I'm still going back and forth on mine. I know it's too early to positively tell and I'm probably keeping him/her no matter what (unless I get 2 roos but I really think my other 5 are pullets), but I'd like to know your guesses since 99% of you know more than me.

As long as that comb does not turn bright red before 10 weeks old, it's a girl.

I agonized over mine for weeks. Since most barred rock sexing threads say that the ones that are 'lighter' are boys and 'darker' ones are girls, I was sure that only two of mine were pullets at 5 weeks. I had 4 like the one in front and 2 like the one in back. Now they are 14 weeks old, they're combs are just slightly pink, and there are no rooster saddle feathers. All 6 are pullets.

Brand new to chickens and I've been trying to read everyone's barred rock posts but I'm still going back and forth on mine. I know it's too early to positively tell and I'm probably keeping him/her no matter what (unless I get 2 roos but I really think my other 5 are pullets), but I'd like to know your guesses since 99% of you know more than me.
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
The barring looks pretty dark on your chick, and I don't see anything screaming cockerel so at this point I'm thinking pullet, but I would post its pic again in about a month.

This is my rock at 5 weeks. Based upon the size of that comb on her head, I'm thinking she may be a he? Any comments? She/he is also at the top of the pecking order. Mother hen or bossy male?

This picture is, of course, not my barred. Am trying to figure out how to upload picture. I'm not only a new chicken owner, I'm also technically challenged!

Back
Top Bottom