BR Tom is aggressive to my hens

Goldengirls406

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2016
Stevensville, MT
I’m somewhat new to heritage breed turkeys and could use some help.
About a month ago I got a bourbon red tom from one person, and 4 bourbon red hens from another. After an introductory period of about of week in close but separate pens, I finally put them in the same pen. My Tom bullied the girls and tried to establish dominance. Well fast forward a month later and now he wants to breed and they don’t seem to want anything to do with him (which I can’t say I blame them) but this seems to piss him off and he will try to breed with them and when they reject him he grabs them by the heads and shakes them violently. He will then chase them around the pen until he tires out and gives up. Is this normal behavior? I’ve been watching videos of other turkeys breeding and it’s not nearly as violent looking! HELP! I’m wondering if I should just let it be and see if they will eventually warm up to him…or if I should just put him in the freezer…

I’m somewhat new to heritage breed turkeys and could use some help.
About a month ago I got a bourbon red tom from one person, and 4 bourbon red hens from another. After an introductory period of about of week in close but separate pens, I finally put them in the same pen. My Tom bullied the girls and tried to establish dominance. Well fast forward a month later and now he wants to breed and they don’t seem to want anything to do with him (which I can’t say I blame them) but this seems to piss him off and he will try to breed with them and when they reject him he grabs them by the heads and shakes them violently. He will then chase them around the pen until he tires out and gives up. Is this normal behavior? I’ve been watching videos of other turkeys breeding and it’s not nearly as violent looking! HELP! I’m wondering if I should just let it be and see if they will eventually warm up to him…or if I should just put him in the freezer…
Not all toms are good breeders. I vote freezer camp.

While I am also new to Heritage Turkeys, and not thinking freezer camp is necessarily the wrong choice for him- I do have a couple of questions.

- (generally) where do you live?
....I’m in the PNW and my hens have only been laying for about 10 days. If you are in a more temperate climate, is it possible that the hens have already finished for their laying “season”? As I understand it, it is a fairly short window that they lay?

- ....are you finding eggs?
- IF they are “finished” for the season, I would absolutely have him in the oven if it were me. You can get another Tom and don’t need your girls to be terrorized. A new guy would certainly be ready by next year.

- I also agree that I would not want to pass on that aggressive tendency if they
-are- still laying.... I guess I’m more curious if he’s just an a**hole, or frustrated that they may be less receptive...?

Did he come from a place where there were other turkeys, or was he a single turkey in a mixed flock?
Again- not second guessing the idea that perhaps he just should not be allowed to propagate. I’m just trying to learn more about behavioral issues- mine are remarkably friendly, but I worked hard when they were babies to get them to be manageable.
Also, they are only about 11 mos old, and I know time / increasing hormones can change things sometimes 😑

If a person collects the eggs, a hen's laying season can be from spring through fall.
That, is the best news I’ve had all month lol
It’s been a rough month. 😂
I’ll keep collecting my eggs.
I’m going to the turkey “thread” to ask a question about incubators.
I will post a link (here) to the new thread once I’ve got it up, in case you have any thoughts to share 🤞

Back
Top Bottom