Bragged I could manage my flock like a pro ... open mouth, insert foot

Chicken.Lytle

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Montgomery County, TX
As soon as I bragged about how skilled I had become at managing my little flock, the rebellious wretches refused to go back in the coop. Dr. Dolittle bailed me out. Good thing I can tolerate eating crow.
roll.png

How often does your flock embarrass you?

I seem to recall how good my girls were laying last year, 5-6 eggs a day from 6 hens. Now with 12 hens, I get 4 eggs a day. My co-workers keep asking "you said you got more hens. How come you have less eggs?
hmm.png

You just never know what chickens are going to do next!
big_smile.png

Michickenwrangler, do you use supplemental light in the winter, to compensate for the shorter days?

No I don't. My hens are older this year. I get 5 eggs/week from each of my Black Stars in the main pen. They are not even a year old yet. The Gold comets are over 2 years old.

Quote:
Age explains it. I'm 64, no part of me works as good as it did last year, or the year before, or the year.......... Well, you see, chicken people
gig.gif
seem to age much faster than
old.gif
human people do so ya gotta except that your chickens are not going to produce as well.
caf.gif
Even with light in my coop, two year olds don't produce as well as one year olds do, but the eggs seem to get bigger as they age.
pop.gif

PS The older I get and the smarter I get, the more I find that I don't know.
ep.gif
So if your chickens fool ya in some way, just chalk it up to a learning experience, remember they're just a bunch of bird brains.
lau.gif
Even though my body is starting to fail me, my brain still works pretty good, just a bit slower.
hu.gif
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom