Bragged I could manage my flock like a pro ... open mouth, insert foot

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken.Lytle, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

As soon as I bragged about how skilled I had become at managing my little flock, the rebellious wretches refused to go back in the coop. Dr. Dolittle bailed me out. Good thing I can tolerate eating crow. [​IMG]

How often does your flock embarrass you?

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I seem to recall how good my girls were laying last year, 5-6 eggs a day from 6 hens. Now with 12 hens, I get 4 eggs a day. My co-workers keep asking "you said you got more hens. How come you have less eggs? [​IMG]

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You just never know what chickens are going to do next! [​IMG]

Michickenwrangler, do you use supplemental light in the winter, to compensate for the shorter days?

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    No I don't. My hens are older this year. I get 5 eggs/week from each of my Black Stars in the main pen. They are not even a year old yet. The Gold comets are over 2 years old.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Age explains it. I'm 64, no part of me works as good as it did last year, or the year before, or the year.......... Well, you see, chicken people [​IMG] seem to age much faster than [​IMG] human people do so ya gotta except that your chickens are not going to produce as well. [​IMG] Even with light in my coop, two year olds don't produce as well as one year olds do, but the eggs seem to get bigger as they age. [​IMG]

PS The older I get and the smarter I get, the more I find that I don't know. [​IMG] So if your chickens fool ya in some way, just chalk it up to a learning experience, remember they're just a bunch of bird brains. [​IMG] Even though my body is starting to fail me, my brain still works pretty good, just a bit slower. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by