BRAGGING ON MY Buttercups

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by skydancer28, Aug 5, 2010.

1. skydancer28

skydancer28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    Got my baker's dozen day-old straight run Sicilian Buttercups on April 26, 2010 from Murray McMurray. Now, over three months later, I have pared down the flock to two roo's and six hens. I love their coloration--they looked like baby falcons for the longest time, and now the hens' pattern reminds me of a hawk

These birds are wonderful foragers, and quite friendly. Although they do not enjoy being picked up, they come running at my "Chick, chick chick" and they love to hang out on the front and back porches, waiting for me or my husband to give them some attention. One hen, Digit--named for a funny fingerlike projection on her comb--will actually follow me, far away from the rest of the flock, almost as if she is imprinted.

In the photo of them on the chair, you may be able to make out that one of the two roo's, Seeker, has the white earlobes appropriate for the breed. I chose to keep King as well because he was just so magnificent, but, like the ones I culled, his are red. Both of them have beautiful crowns, and wattles to die for!

No one has started laying yet...but both roosters are crowing. They like to do call-and-response, with their crows so close together that it sounds like a single long one.

I'm really hoping I can keep both roo's. So far, they are quite amicable with one another. But if I do have to end up culling one, at least I can testify that Buttercup is tender and flavorful;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Oh, they are eye candy!!!! [​IMG] They really like posing for group pictures... I love the one on of them on the chair!!!

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    You have some pretty, pretty birds!

4. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    STUNNING! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChOOkens

ChOOkens ►ChOOken In A Box◄

Jun 1, 2009
    Australia
    [​IMG]

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] absolutely gorgeous! I agree they look like a group of hams - all posing so pretty for the camera! If only my chickens cooperated that well!

7. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    Those are some gorgeous birds!

8. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    they are gorgeous!

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They are so lovely! And your pics were beautiful too. I'm wondering if they are skittish or friendly, and how is their egg production....I may want some.....LOL

10. skydancer28

skydancer28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    Thank you all for the compliments, you've made my day!

One hint on taking good chicken photos (other than having a decent camera and being able to focus) is to quietly get it all ready, have everything in focus, and then make kissy noises to get them all to look up alertly for several seconds. At this point, snap your photo. [​IMG]

Also, be ready to take a dozen photos of the same scene and then discard all but one...[​IMG]

While they will not let me pet them or pick them up without a struggle, they will come up to me in the yard and even peck curiously at my arm or foot. And they would eat out of a cup in my hand when I would bring them treats. Probably would have tamed down even more if I had the time to work with them.

They are way friendlier than the Gold-Laced Wyandottes I raised one year, and I tried to work with THOSE birds every day. They are not as friendly as the Americaunas or the Cornish Rock crosses I had in previous years, however, they seem to be the most intelligent chickens I have ever raised. And they are very predator savvy, running for cover at the first sign of hawk or crow sailing overhead.

No eggs yet, but I will let you know what egg production is like when they start laying.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by