Bragging - shipped call duck eggs hatched!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gryeyes, Nov 18, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] I won an auction for 4 call duck eggs, reportedly "SQ," and the seller sent me five of 'em. I tucked 2 of my Cayuga pair's eggs in the Brinsea MiniAdvance EX incubator with 'em. Today is the scheduled hatch day - and one of the call eggs hatched last night! Then there were two more call duck babies in the 'bator this morning! (The big ol' Cayuga eggs are just sitting there, so far.)

I have never incubated duck eggs before. Didn't really have high expectations because I had read - over and over - that call duck eggs were particularly hard to hatch.

I am SO jazzed! I have DUCKLINGS straight out of the eggs! Not feed store babies, but babies *I* hatched! [​IMG]

(Pictures to come in a couple of days - the "in the incubator" shots are too fuzzy and obscured by the condensation in the VERY humidified 'bator.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Way cool, waiting to see the little fluff butts. Congratulations. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm subscribing so I don't miss out. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Can't wait to see them!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Congratulations!!! Any ducklings are gorgeous- but there is something a little more special about the ones you hatch yourself.

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Congratulations to you x10! [​IMG]

I too hatched some shipped eggs earlier this year from a show line of Calls...several arrived with busted air cells but I managed to get not only one, but TWO pullets out of them! My first experience with shipped eggs bore good fruit...one pullet has placed very well at shows. Wishing some Duckluck your way! We need PICTURES when you can!

6. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:That must have been a surprise! Expecting call ducklings and getting Pullets (hope the pullets were from a chicken breed you like)!!!!!

Kidding a side! Call ducks are adorable and I look forward to seeing pics!

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, gryeyes, that's a fantastic hatch rate for SQ Calls! I need you or duckluck to hatch for me next spring! I stink at it and all I can hatch are cute little drakes!

ETA: NOT THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU, but I won an ebay auction for SQ Call eggs and ended up with the cutest little bantam mallards you ever saw and a gorgeous Gray Pied Call hen that is the size of a Roeun(slight exaggeration). [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:That must have been a surprise! Expecting call ducklings and getting Pullets (hope the pullets were from a chicken breed you like)!!!!!

Kidding a side! Call ducks are adorable and I look forward to seeing pics!

Just in case you were serious, those are some of duckluck's SQ Calls she hatched out from a premier Call breeder this spring-she doesn't raise anything but Calls-and some awesome ones at that! I have a couple of her beautiful birds here that she jumped through all kinds of hoops to get to me!

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You should have bought a lottery ticket the day you set those eggs. It's hard enough to hatch Call eggs under the best of circumstances let alone when the eggs are shipped. Congrats.

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by