Bragging - shipped call duck eggs hatched!

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
ya.gif
I won an auction for 4 call duck eggs, reportedly "SQ," and the seller sent me five of 'em. I tucked 2 of my Cayuga pair's eggs in the Brinsea MiniAdvance EX incubator with 'em. Today is the scheduled hatch day - and one of the call eggs hatched last night! Then there were two more call duck babies in the 'bator this morning! (The big ol' Cayuga eggs are just sitting there, so far.)

I have never incubated duck eggs before. Didn't really have high expectations because I had read - over and over - that call duck eggs were particularly hard to hatch.

I am SO jazzed! I have DUCKLINGS straight out of the eggs! Not feed store babies, but babies *I* hatched!
wee.gif

(Pictures to come in a couple of days - the "in the incubator" shots are too fuzzy and obscured by the condensation in the VERY humidified 'bator.)

Last edited:
Congratulations to you x10!
yippiechickie.gif

I too hatched some shipped eggs earlier this year from a show line of Calls...several arrived with busted air cells but I managed to get not only one, but TWO pullets out of them! My first experience with shipped eggs bore good fruit...one pullet has placed very well at shows. Wishing some Duckluck your way! We need PICTURES when you can!

Quote:
That must have been a surprise! Expecting call ducklings and getting Pullets (hope the pullets were from a chicken breed you like)!!!!!

Kidding a side! Call ducks are adorable and I look forward to seeing pics!

Wow, gryeyes, that's a fantastic hatch rate for SQ Calls! I need you or duckluck to hatch for me next spring! I stink at it and all I can hatch are cute little drakes!

ETA: NOT THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU, but I won an ebay auction for SQ Call eggs and ended up with the cutest little bantam mallards you ever saw and a gorgeous Gray Pied Call hen that is the size of a Roeun(slight exaggeration).
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That must have been a surprise! Expecting call ducklings and getting Pullets (hope the pullets were from a chicken breed you like)!!!!!

Kidding a side! Call ducks are adorable and I look forward to seeing pics!

Just in case you were serious, those are some of duckluck's SQ Calls she hatched out from a premier Call breeder this spring-she doesn't raise anything but Calls-and some awesome ones at that! I have a couple of her beautiful birds here that she jumped through all kinds of hoops to get to me!

You should have bought a lottery ticket the day you set those eggs. It's hard enough to hatch Call eggs under the best of circumstances let alone when the eggs are shipped. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom