Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Does anyone know the proper dose of Braggs Liquid Aminos to add to water for chicks and chickens?

NONE.

Braggs is an unfermented soy sauce alternative with a VERY high salt content, for all that Mr. Bragg wanted to avoid adding table salt (sodium chloride) to his food.

Its amino acid profile is uncertain, and so far as I can quickly determine, untested. There are 310 mg of sodium per tsp of the stuff. A tsp of water weighs approximately 5g (5,000mg), so its roughly 12% salt (yes, I'm aware that a sodium atom wheghs less than a chlorine atom - but I'm also aware that sodium chloride "table salt" is not specified - and not assuming which salts are present). Even if we accept that its claimed 1g of Protein for each 5g of weight is not simply rounded up, we have three immediate problems:

1) 20% of 5g, for a chicken that eats 100g per day, is a 1% increase in total protein - almost insignificant, particularly as of the 16 amino acids it claims to contain, only four are needed by the chicken as critical or limiting amino acids. Those four are present in unknown concentrations. Any deficit is still limiting, any excess is simply excreted in the form of nitrogen - urates on the poops and additional ammonia. Benefit is therefor both very small, and very uncertain.

2) in that same 100g per day dfiet for a chicken, its daily sodium intak should not exceed about 0.5%, or about 500mg. That's what it gets in its commercial feed. You've just added another 300mg to that for each teaspoon it consumes daily.

3) chicken's water consumption varies greatly with temperature, gender, and status of lay. Chickens consume more water when its hot, laying hens consume more water than non layers which consume more than roosters. So now you have ensured that your birds get an uncertain daily dosage, of a product of uncertain benefit, with significant additional salt, daily.

At that point, why bother to measure the inputs? A completely unpredictable output is ensured, apart from waste nitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom