Braggs Mountain Buff - Need a Rooster!

CathyInAquilla

Hatching
Jan 15, 2016
Aquilla, TX
Hi! I'm new here. I have 13 Braggs Mountain Buffs that I bought from a man in Whitney, TX (near Waco) in September of 2014. He caged the hens and met me halfway, so I didn't get a look at his place, but the hens were in really rough shape when I got them. He said they were molting. I knew absolutely nothing about chickens except what little I had googled while building a coop and getting ready to get some chickens, and, unfortunately, I had let him know that. He said the chickens were under 2 years old, but I believe he sold me his older hens. At first they wouldn't roost or use the nesting boxes, and now they will roost, but only use the lower level nesting boxes. It took me several months to get them looking decent because the larger ones picked on the smaller ones, but they finally seem to have quit that for the most part. The most I've ever gotten out of them was 11 eggs in a day, but usually more like 7-8. For the last few months, they've only produced 2-3 eggs a day. The eggs are varying shades of brown, and they are large, often too large to fit in the egg carton, and they have a very firm, dark yellow yolk.

I'm not ready to give up on the breed yet. I got them because they are supposed to be good for meat and large eggs. Haven't tried the meat yet, but the eggs are great! I'd like to get a BMB rooster and hatch some chicks to see if I have better egg production out of younger hens, but, once again, I'll have to google it to find out how to do that. :) First I need to figure out which hens are laying and cull out some of the others.

I've read (on this site) that some people got BMB roosters that were infertile... So, any suggestions as to how I go about getting a Braggs Mountain Buff rooster that is fertile?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Very nice birds you have there! Most breeds slow down on the egg laying in the winter due to the colder temps and the shorter days. Both of these can shut down the egg production or at least slow them down to a crawl. Some breeds don't lay at all in the winter. Molting birds generally don't lay due to the high demand for protein to grow new feathers and moving birds to a new home can shut them down for weeks or longer. Artificial lighting can help boost egg production, but never add extra lighting to pullets, only adult birds of 1 year and older.

The first 2 years of a hens life is her best laying years. And while some birds will continue to lay eggs all throughout their lives, they can definitely start to lay less and less after 3 years of age. They probably never had roosting bars to sleep on and were possibly crammed in since you noticed a lot of picking on each other.

I think you have done a fabulous job at getting them back in shape and they sure do look good! Hopefully by spring they being turning out those eggs!

The Braggs Mountain Poultry breeders are in Texas. I am not sure how far away they are from you, but here is the link to their website. You might be able to locate a Rooster through them....http://www.braggsmountainpoultry.net/what-is-a-braggs-mountain-buff/why-the-braggs-mountain-buff/

Enjoy this wonderful chicken journey you are on! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock! :)

I'm sure the girls will continue to thrive with your care - I would think the hatchery would love to sell you a rooster. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you have the girls now.

welcome-byc.gif

Your flock is looking good, way to go on getting them healthier looking!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Gorgeous girls and a lovely coop!

Back
Top Bottom