Brahma? Cochin?

wife2abirdman

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Houlton Maine
My Coop
My Coop

she is 5 weeks and came from Ideal she was solid yellow as a chick. Was sent as a Brahma. When her wing feathers were coming in they were lighter with more spots and darker and wider dark spots. This coloring is slightly off she is not quite as red-the real color being more like in the 3rd pic. She is more red than my other buff chicks though. She is on the smaller side but still not tiny-I have 14-5 week old chicks and she was one of the bigger ones but seems to be slowing down now, not sure if that means anything. I do not have any bantams and have never had any so do not know how to tell if she is one. She does have impressive foot feathers though. In my order I did get cochins but all are accounted for. Except for maybe one but I don't know. I was supposed to get 1 each-Light, Dark(only one unaccounted for), & Buff Brahma; red(DOA or so I thought), buff, silver laced, gold laced(died), & barred cochin; and a Salmon Faverolle those are the only feather footed breeds I was supposed to get. When it was starting to feather out she was a very light buff with darker brown spots. I had to looked up the baby chick pics so I could figure out who was who. I figured this yellow one was my light buff-while a grey/white chick was my dark brahma (turned out to be my light Brahma) and the reddish grey chick that was DOA was my red cochin. Was I wrong is this possibly my red Cochin????? I never doubted the red cochin was DOA because I thought she would be a darker colored chick or at least have some kind of red, never pure yellow.

Here is my dark brahma chick at a week. I will post an updated one. Didnt know if that would help identify the dark one at least. My buffs are all laying age now so that wont help. she looks like a buff to me. Sometimes due to genetics they are darker or lighter in color. Brahmas are slow growers so the fact that she is smaller is ok. maybe do a google search of buff brahmas at the age your little one is, I will try to find a pic of my buffs at that age,

she is 5 weeks and came from Ideal she was solid yellow as a chick. Was sent as a Brahma. When her wing feathers were coming in they were lighter with more spots and darker and wider dark spots. This coloring is slightly off she is not quite as red-the real color being more like in the 3rd pic. She is more red than my other buff chicks though. She is on the smaller side but still not tiny-I have 14-5 week old chicks and she was one of the bigger ones but seems to be slowing down now, not sure if that means anything. I do not have any bantams and have never had any so do not know how to tell if she is one. She does have impressive foot feathers though. In my order I did get cochins but all are accounted for. Except for maybe one but I don't know. I was supposed to get 1 each-Light, Dark(only one unaccounted for), & Buff Brahma; red(DOA or so I thought), buff, silver laced, gold laced(died), & barred cochin; and a Salmon Faverolle those are the only feather footed breeds I was supposed to get. When it was starting to feather out she was a very light buff with darker brown spots. I had to looked up the baby chick pics so I could figure out who was who. I figured this yellow one was my light buff-while a grey/white chick was my dark brahma (turned out to be my light Brahma) and the reddish grey chick that was DOA was my red cochin. Was I wrong is this possibly my red Cochin????? I never doubted the red cochin was DOA because I thought she would be a darker colored chick or at least have some kind of red, never pure yellow.
I have the Bantam Cochins and they have the "bun" tails. This one looks to have the tail of a Brahma.

Here is my dark brahma chick at a week. I will post an updated one. Didnt know if that would help identify the dark one at least. My buffs are all laying age now so that wont help. she looks like a buff to me. Sometimes due to genetics they are darker or lighter in color. Brahmas are slow growers so the fact that she is smaller is ok. maybe do a google search of buff brahmas at the age your little one is, I will try to find a pic of my buffs at that age,
This is actually funny, my other chick looked exactly like your picture so I thought it was a dark Brahma for sure but it turns out it is a Light Brahma. I guess it still has time to lose all it's white feathers but I don't think it will. Unless Dark Brahmas go from having the penciling to turning mostly white with streaks of black back to penciling but this is my light Brahma went from your pic to mine- unfortunately I do not have day old or week old pics as my camera was not working.

Buff Brahma

Salmon Faverolle

Buff Cochin

chick in question on the left buff Cochin on the right

It only has 4 toes no 5th toe, plus there are a ton of leg feathers more then any chick I have, even more than my Cochin chicks. The Faverolle chick I have, has barely enough feathers on it's legs to even say it is feather legged. The only reason I was starting to think it wasn't a Brahma was because someone pointed out the comb over in the Brahma thread it's a single comb and Brahmas are supposed to have a pea comb the other two Brahmas have pea combs. As far as being a Cochin there are no feathers on the middle toe but then again none of the Cochin chicks I got from Ideal have feathers on their middle toes. I am just confused on what this is. Could it be a poorly colored red Cochin? The one that was DOA, could that have been my Dark Brahma?

Back
Top Bottom