Greece
Hello everyone, i hope im not posting it in the wrong forum,
I have 6 brahmas
4 roosters and 2 hens
the 3 roosters and the 2 hens are 10,5 months old
their colors are
roosters: Dark, Orange splash, Blue partrdidge
hens: Orange splash,Blue partrdidge
The 4th rooster is 4 months old and the color is light.
i searched for a dark hen to match my dark Roo but couldnt find any near my area,
The question is, is there any way to combine my Dark rooster with my B.partridge or orange splash hens to get dark brahma chicks or their offsprings will be random non standar colors?
is there any other combination i could do with my roosters/hens that could give me any other standar color or im only gonna get random mixes?

My dark brahma is my favorite rooster(+larger of the other 2) and im trying to find a use for him, otherwise im gonna have to remove him from the flock...
DSC08892.jpg

If you mix these colors, then you'll get not standard colors. You have to breed Darks to Darks to get Darks.

I don't raise brahma so my first question is what is an orange splash?l splash partridge?
Someone with more brahma experience can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe dark brahma and partridge brahma are the same pattern except dark is based on silver and partridge is based on gold.
Breed your dark rooster to blue partridge hen.
That cross will produce about 50% dark pullets and about 50% blue dark pullets.
The cockerels will be split the same 50/50 dark and blue dark but all cockerels will carry one silver and one gold gene.
Your dark pullets will be pure dark and be breed back to your dark rooster for 100% dark offspring.
The blue pullets will be pure dark with blue diluting the black. You can breed them back to your dark rooster and you'll get pure dark offspring but half will be black and half will be blue. You can always use blue bred to black and get some black so you can decide if you want to use the blues or discard them.
You can use the cockerel offspring but since they carry silver and gold they will produce both dark and partridge pullet offspring whether bred to dark or partridge hens.
You can breed them with dark hens and get some pure dark cockerels from that cross or bred them to partridge and get some pure partridge cockerels.
If orange splash is splash partridge then you can breed your dark rooster to them and the silver versus gold will work the same way. Only difference is all first cross offspring will be blue instead of only 50% of them being blue.

Last edited:
I don't raise brahma so my first question is what is an orange splash?l splash partridge?
Someone with more brahma experience can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe dark brahma and partridge brahma are the same pattern except dark is based on silver and partridge is based on gold.
The cockerels will be split the same 50/50 dark and blue dark but all cockerels will carry one silver and one gold gene.
Your dark pullets will be pure dark and be breed back to your dark rooster for 100% dark offspring.
The blue pullets will be pure dark with blue diluting the black. You can breed them back to your dark rooster and you'll get pure dark offspring but half will be black and half will be blue. You can always use blue bred to black and get some black so you can decide if you want to use the blues or discard them.
You can use the cockerel offspring but since they carry silver and gold they will produce both dark and partridge pullet offspring whether bred to dark or partridge hens.
You can breed them with dark hens and get some pure dark cockerels from that cross or bred them to partridge and get some pure partridge cockerels.
If orange splash is splash partridge then you can breed your dark rooster to them and the silver versus gold will work the same way. Only difference is all first cross offspring will be blue instead of only 50% of them being blue.

You are completely correct. I believe the Orange splash is splash partridge by pictures iIve seen. But overseas it could be something different.
But I would recommend not using the splash in the breeding if she wants darks. The best bet is using the blues with the dark. So they dont have the Blue, Black and Splash issues. Blues and Blacks will get her closer to what they want. Then keep only the dark hens back to breed to the dark rooster and be back at 100% darks.

Thanks alot, that was very detailed, and the exact thing i was looking for.

Honestly you can breed the darks and partridge. Just might require some work and keeping none of the males.
Look at the dark and partridge part of the genetics http://www.brahmacochin.org/poultry-breeding-genetics
Thank you very much, the thing is that i ve found the link a couple days ago but because i didnt se the blue partridge x dark combination i thought that it was diferent than the partridge x dark, but now i get it :) thanks everyone
I ve also spoke with the breeder (the one that gave me the eggs) and told me that if i breed the dark with my female splash im gonna get bso.
Here is a photo of the Dark rooster,orange splash, and sussex.
DSC08685.JPG

You are completely correct. I believe the Orange splash is splash partridge by pictures iIve seen. But overseas it could be something different.
But I would recommend not using the splash in the breeding if she wants darks. The best bet is using the blues with the dark. So they dont have the Blue, Black and Splash issues. Blues and Blacks will get her closer to what they want. Then keep only the dark hens back to breed to the dark rooster and be back at 100% darks.
My thought with the splash was that maybe they'd want to bred BBS darks.
Some would want to get away from the blue as soon as possible. Others might want to keep using the blues. It would be a color they don't have.
My other thought was they only have the two hens. Two is better then one. Bred them both. Breed pullets back to rooster then lose the blues if you want. The blues can still make darks and its twice the gene pool using both hens.

Back
Top Bottom