Brahma colored cochin bantams?

Riven

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Central Nebraska
My dad holds an animal auction every year and there are some cochins there that are labeled as "light brahma cochins". I told my friend Joe that there is no such color in Cochins, that they are actually Columbian, and he wanted to argue about it, sure he is right.

So... Upon doing research I have not found "brahma" as being a "real color" for bantam cochins.

Assuming that these are true cochins and not crossbreds, who is correct?

Quote:
Right

The 3 most common colors for Brahmas are

Light ( columbian)
Buff ( buff columbian)
Dark ( silver penciled)

And Cochins can also come in all three colors.

Assuming that these are true cochins and not crossbreds You are correct

Last edited:
I did not get a photo, but they are built like cochins. I have some show cochins and they are not what I would call show quality, but they are true to the body style and are better looking than many I have seen.

They are short and round with large cushions, a shorter compact neck, "soft" in the rump, but not rumpless, and are booted.

They are white with black hackles, no saddle feathers, and black in the rump/tail feathers as well.

Assuming they they do look like what a cochin should look ( which they do ) the main debate was if brahma was a color for cochins.

The tag on the cage by the sellers read:

light brahma cochins

Now... I'm not going to come in and claim to be an expert in chicken genetics, but this is the same friend who told my neighbor he was going to bred a white showgirl to a black show girl to make mottle carriers... which just sounded not right to us.

ETA:

Light ( columbian)
Buff ( buff columbian)
Dark ( silver penciled)

And Cochins can also come in all three colors.

Am I reading this as cochins can also come in these colors, but would be called " columbian" not be called "light Brahma", or that "light brahma" is acceptable.

Sorry to be a pain but I just want to be clear... Tomorrow's lunch is riding on this... LOL

I personally believe that it is a case of maybe didn't know better, or was told wrongly when they bought them or their parents type of deal.

Thanks for the answers so far!​

Last edited:
Quote:
Am I reading this as cochins can also come in these colors, but would be called " columbian" not be called "light Brahma", or that "light brahma" is acceptable.

Sorry to be a pain but I just want to be clear... Tomorrow's lunch is riding on this... LOL

I personally believe that it is a case of maybe didn't know better, or was told wrongly when they bought them or their parents type of deal.

Thanks for the answers so far!

You are right "light Brahma" is NOT an acceptable name for the color of Cochins. The Cochin color names are the ones I put in parenthesis.

So they should be called Columbian Cochins, provided that they are Cochins and Light Brahmas if they are Brahmas. Same color, just different "correct" names.

If they had cushion combs, then they would be Brahmas.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is what I would think too...
big_smile.png

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm getting free lunch today!!

I didn't think to take a photo either! We both agreed that they were cochins, he was just trying to tell me that brahma was a color...

And you guys are right, without talking to the seller, or knowing their actual parents they might have been a cross.

Nenner, nenner! I won!

Thanks again, I knew I could count on you guys!

Back
Top Bottom