Brahma combs. What's the deal?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DvanderSlik, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Hello everybody!

This is my first flock. I have three Brahmas, two Buffs and one Dark. Could somebody please tell me why their combs are so different? They are all from the same "litter" so to say, so they're all 22weeks. Is it just that Dark Brahmas' combs aren't as bright and red as the Buffs?

Please don't tell me one's a rooster. I've already had to exchange one of my Brahmas because it was a rooster! I cant take it again. I haven't heard any "crows" yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Sorry for the bad news on the Buff cockerel.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Dark Brahma, pullet
    Buff Brahma, cockeral

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    They are both pullets. If the buff one was a cockerel, he would have hackle feathers. The reason their combs are different is due to the buff pullet maturing faster.

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I am not an expert on buffs but I think Cubakid is right I see pointy hackle feathers Post your pics on the Brahma thread to be sure. A hens comb will turn red as she matures and is getting ready to lay.

6. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Quote:X2
    At 22 weeks, the buff would be looking alot more like a roo if it was one. I think you have 2 pullets, but one is a late bloomer.

7. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Most of my pullets dont have red combs until at least 3 months, there is always of course exceptions. you should try posting a profile shot of the buff. With that amount of feathering it should have a developed saddle area.

8. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I'd say both are pullets, but a full body shot would tell for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by